Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

1999 New Holland 555e won't start. The last time i used it

Customer Question

1999 New Holland 555e won't start. The last time i used it it started up with no issue. Now it cranks but won't turn over. Battery is fully charged. When I use ether it sputters a little but won't fully start. I'm not sure how old the fuel is (maybe a year or so) could that be the issue?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just removed the bowl retaining nut on the sediment separator and no fuel drained out. I was going to try to prime the fuel system but I can't locate the hand primer/lift pump based on the diagram in the repair manual figure 2-9 on page 2-5. Could this be located somewhere else?
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 11 months ago.

hello my name is ***** ***** you sure there isn't a small metal lever on the primer pump short in nature but a couple of fingers wide that will travel upp and down along side the pump. Alternatively if your able you can use compressed air to apply slight pressure to fuel tank using a blow gun and your hand with a couple of rags to seal off the fill cap. This will push the fuel up into the filters to assist bleeding. Be careful not to apply too much pressure and pop the tank, just the rags and your hand will ensure this is enough tank pressure to maintain about 5-10 psi.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't look like there is a mechanical lift pump at all. It looks like the fuel line goes straight from the tank to the sediment separator. Is that possible? I think there is an electric fuel pump after the sediment separator mounted above the fuel filter. I can't get my compressor over to where the backhoe is. Without the metal lever is there another way I can prime?

ok thanks for that info, well you can run a separate fuel line from a 5 gallon can resting on the top of the hood and then attach the hose from the can to the inlet of the primary filter. Should be enough gravity to allow the fuel to flow through the filters.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there something I can do to test the fuel pump?

you need to get fuel to it first then really all you can do is remove the stop solenoid because they can cause a no start but at the same time loosen the injectors lines to be bleeding the system while cranking throttle depressed and wheels chocked. do you have any fuel to the pump? i would suspect not so get fuel to the filters and then see if the pump will pick it up.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I did the gas can on the hood but it's still not starting. What should I try next?

how about loosening the lines on the injectors so air can be pushed out. And also doesn't that have a small solenoid on the pump as a fuel shutoff? Does it have 12 volts key on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I loosened the injector lines but I don't know what you mean by small solenoid on the pump or the 12 volts key

I thought there was a small soleniod screwed into the top of the pump that controls the shutoff of machine. Can you send me a pic of injection pump and the sides of the motor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are these what you're looking for?

yes in the last picture there is a rubber booted soleniod on the top of injector pump and above the injector lines. remove the boot and see if there is power on that wire with key on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This thing? I assume I need a multimeter to check?

yes if memory serves my correctly its the shutoff solenoid and using a multi meter is the best way. Key on and in start mode there should be battery voltage there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I just found my multi meter and with key on black to frame and red to solenoid it reading 0 volts. How do I fix?

Hello, the first thing I would do is apply 12 volts to that wire and see if the unit then fires off after bleeding. Then check fuses and wiring on key switch. There is also the possibility of a relay in the circuit but i don't have a schematic on machine.