Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a 2003 deere 310 sg backhoe that I cant get it to

Customer Question

I have a 2003 john deere 310 sg backhoe that I cant get it to turn over. I've replace the solenoid, brand new starter and the batter is a 2013. All I get is a click at the solenoid. the starter has power through it to battery.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to test battery voltage before key is turned t start and when key is turned to start?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If you jump the switch wire at the solenoid to the battery cable terminal on the solenoid, does starter engage? Can engine be turned with wrench?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've tested the voltage and the reading is 12.4.
We had 14 volts all the way to the relay.
We haven't jump the switch wire at the solenoid to the battery cable terminal on the solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine can be turned with wrench.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You say 12.4 volts, then 14.?? 12.4 is low battery voltage, a fully charged battery would be well over 13 volts. If engine turns by hand, and engine does not spin when solenoid is jumped, battery voltage may be the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did try to jump start but no luck.
Also switch the battery from another piece of equipment that was fine prior to replacing the starter and only a click on the solenoid. Then removed battery and put original battery back in. no luck
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Try jumping the solenoid, and check the voltage to the solenoid when key is turned to start. May not be enough voltage/amperage to close the solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do, be in touch
Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

310SG has a starter relay # ***** , in the picture link. It may not be passing the amperage required for the solenoid n the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if not enough voltage?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Try replacing the relay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We already have replaced the relay
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, check voltage and if low , try a new wire , just jump what is there now, to see if wire will help.