Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

My JD 3032e starts intermittently. runs one minute then

Customer Question

my JD 3032e starts intermittently. runs for about one minute then dies. I wait about an hour and it will start the 2nd time I try, then run for a minute and die.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

#4 in the link is fuel shutoff solenoid. When it dies and won't start, slip this back and see if it start. If it does, check for voltage at the solenoid .Has to have voltage to stay retracted. If it has vltage as is not retracted, the solenoid is failing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Slip what back? Please explain further how to test the solenoid.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you see the solenoid in the link? Mounts on the left end of the injection pump, it retracts when the engine is started, and has to stay retracted for engine to continue. If it looses voltage or does not stay retracted, engine dies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see it. Is there a way to manually make it work. Is that what you mean by slip it back?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It mounts with two small bolts/screws and can be slipped back for test. Engine will run with it skipped back, but will have to be re-inserted to kill engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I get that. Take it out and see if it retracts. And check for voltage. What I can say about this problem is that the tractor starts on the 2nd try after I let it sit for about an hour, and then runs well for about one minute, then abruptly dies. If I take the solenoid out do I turn on the key to see if it retracts?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It should, but I would start it , let it die, then slip solenoid back and see if tractor starts. If not, solenoid is Not problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tractor will start with the solenoid slipped back? and the solenoid de-energizing kills the tractor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I got it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis,
I had to work yesterday. Got back to this problem today. I have power at the solenoid after the tractor sits for an hour or so. And the tractor will start and run for about one minute and then dies. Then when I check I have no power at the solenoid on the red or the white wire with the switch in run or start. Additionally: after the tractor had sat for one hour I disconnected solenoid electrical connector and the tractor would crank but not start. After the tractor runs for a minute and stops, when I try to start it there is no cranking until an hour or so has passed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the sequence has always been that the tractor will start IF it cranks, then runs fine for one minute and dies. Then no crank until wait an hour or so. It was colder than it has been this morning and the tractor ran a little longer than it did two days ago, but dies. It is leading me to think it is the control module.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

So when it quits, the engine will not turn over? No starter action? So there is more going on, than just fuel solenoid. Unit is loosing voltage to the system.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check the fuse and the connections at the battery main fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have changed the battery and cleaned the connections, including the ground screw. Checked all fuses. Took the 3 relays out. Two relays same p/n, one different p/n. The two had thick tar underneath, cleaned with solvent, replaced all relays including swapping the two back and forth. No change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got done removing the cowling with the control module/gauges, checked the connections.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you send me the electrical diagram for this engine?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, have no diagram! Would only be in the Deere service manual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know what the 3 relays do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a fuse in line with the pos battery terminal. maybe near the starter??
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I sent link showing the fuse at battery! Relays are fuel pump, fuel shutoff solenoid, and ?? not sure what third one is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go play some more...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fuse at battery. tractor will run if I slip back the fuel shutoff solenoid and jump starter solenoid. but no start with key.....
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

parts link shows the fuse as # *****??? You say not there?