Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a 1996 Case 580Super L I believe a series 2. I was

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Case 580Super L I believe a series 2. I was using the backhoe loading my dump truck when the machine quit on me. I thought it ran out of fuel I knew it was low, but it didn't sputter then die now that I think of it. It pretty much just stopped. I filled the hoe up. Tried to prime and turn over no luck. I thought the fuel pump was bad because I couldn't get it pump it was just up and down no pressure, even after turning it over a few times. I replaced fuel pump,filters and fuel line from the tank to new inline filter and pump. Pump works great. I'm getting fuel to the injection pump,but not getting fuel through pump and into the lines to injectors. I pulled out the electric fuel shutoff thinking this was the problem. It came apart the plunger was stuck in there I used pliers to pull it out. reinstall plug without plunger still no fuel coming out 4 ports where fuel lines hook up. I don't know what else to do. Sorry for lengthy story.
Thanks Dave W.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If you have fuel to the injection pump. and you have all the electric shutoff valve out, so the fuel passage is open, and no output to the injectors , the injection pump has failed! Assuming the pump is turning and the drive gear has not broken. Sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That what I was afraid of. I wasn't sure if there was a screen in the pump or if I could take pump apart for cleaning on the outlet side where the 4 ports, there are 2 more bolts that hold on the ports and where the fuel shut off solenoid is I was sure if that could come off without doing any damage. I never tried turning over engine after I took off the plunger off solenoid. I just used hand pump. I was afraid of not being able to turn off the hoe without opening up filter to let air in.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

!! Fluid will not flow through the pump from hand pump! Engine has to be cranking!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Loosen the injection lines at the cylinder head and crank to see if you have fuel squirting, not just dribbling. If you do , pump is good, and get a new solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks will have to try in the morning
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK< good luck!