Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

What might be causing my Cat 950B transmission to hesitate

Customer Question

What might be causing my Cat 950B transmission to hesitate for a few seconds when I shift into 2nd geat
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

This is usually caused by wear in the transmission. It could be the valve body is worn and not hold system pressure correctly or more often, the clutch seal ring is worn out and the pump must completely fill the piston housing to get it to apply.

Wear in the torque convertor can add to this problem if the flow to keep it supplied with oil is greater than the pump can supply to both the convertor and transmission. Since second gear is used the most, it receives the most wear and is affected more as the machine gets older.

Testing transmission and torque convertor pressures may show this better. Pump pressure can be adjusted to help but this adjustment is inside the transmission valve body.