spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

I have a 94 cat motor that has a elect. fuel injector pump

Customer Question

i have a 94 cat motor that has a elect. fuel injector pump can i take it off and put a manule fuel injector pump on it an will it work
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Kenny, sorry for delay, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

Are both engines same HP and Rated RPM? The engines you want to swap pumps on.

Then yes you can, you will just need to wire up shutdown solenoid power and ground,connect old linkages,replace pedal assembly.

Nozzles do not need to be changed.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:
1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.
The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this further...just click the reply button or use the reply box below to let me know.
If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you.

Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
Thank You,
spanky

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK something not right , I have a 93 Pete that has a 3406 cat with Manuel injector pump the motor when bad so I got another motor an it is a 94 3406 with just the injector pump is elect. I was told my old motor was a 400 an the used one I got was a 4 an a 1/4 they said it was the first elect. Motor that cat. Put in 94 an it was called a hafe an hafe because the elect. Injector pump was the only thing on the motor that was elct. Every thing else was Manuel so I pined the pump an pined the motor before pulling both pumps an I put the 400 Manuel injector pump on to the the new used motor that is 3406 - 4 an a 1/4 that had the elect. Injector pump , then I was told the injector nozzels needed to be changed , the truck runs good an smooth but when I drove it the manifold pressure was way down like 15 pounds an it didn't the power it should I'm talking lack of power big time an one other thing I forgot to let you last time I also put my 400 turbo on that 4 an a 1/4 motor so what I was trying to do is make the 4 an a 1/4 elect. Injector pump motor in to a 400 Manuel injector pump motor can I do this an make it run like it did before , I'm sorry for the miss understanding on the first info I gave you hope you can help me out with this I been off work a month now with my truck down an really need to get it going fast please help me out thank you.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Your half and half motor was the first 3406C engine and they had a lot of issues.

Have you rechecked pin timing? If timing advance in not pushed all the way in when you tighten timing will be off and you will have low power!

Have you hooked up AFRC line to intake and checked to make sure diaphragm was good? Can cause and will cause low power!

Have you verified fuel psi at least 30 psi under full load? you will have low power!

Have you verified CAC is holding pressure? No broken clamps, no holes in hump hoses,if not can cause you to have low power!

Let me know

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

You did check and use advance off of old engine correct? Hub was not spinning in around snap ring holding flyweights carrier on?

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up to see if we resolved the issue, what it was ,or if you need more info.
I would appreciate a reply so I know you are happy with my assistance.
Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time from the web site.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
Thanks
spanky

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello spanky, this is Kenny again I didn't get an answer on would it be OK to run my old turbo off the 400 cat on the 4 1/4 cat also are the cams shafts the same are will I need to change it out also an one other thing all I could do for as timing is I pined both the motors at the flywheels an pined the I jector pumps an dechecked both of them but you said to set Timing on what the old motor was set at but my old motor is missing the timing tag could you tell how to set the timing an what it needs to be set at my old motor was a 400 but Im useing a 4 1/4 now remember if you could answer this for me hopfuly I want hafe to bother you any more thanks again you been vary helpful for to me thank you alot
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can run old turbo Kenny, you just need to adjust fuel pump a little bit, I'm going to send you a offer for phone call so we can go over everything to make it run like a 450HP with no ill effects on engine. I don't want to post this in forum since it must be done right to avoid engine damage. I want to make sure you fully understand, it's important! Once you accept offer I can call you, just letting you know so when you see offer you can accept.

Talk soon

spanky

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Please take a moment to rate or accept my service so that I can get credit for my time from the web site ,without a rating or accept the web site does not pay me.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.

Thanks
spanky