dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
Experience:  Road Mechanic for Volvo Construction Equipment.
11640745

I have a Volvo L180 the parking brake will not work. There

Customer Question

I have a Volvo L180 the parking brake will not work. There is a pulsing noise as well coming from the break pressure tank under the brake pedal. Could it be my solenoid? I have a parking brake circuit code on also. Thank you arron
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dan and I can help you with this issue. What is the code reading on the dash and is this a L180D machine or and E machine? Can you supply the serial number as well. The paring brake is mounted inside the transmission behind the front yoke on those models. You will have a solenoid by itself blue in color mounted inside the frame, If you follow the small hose mounted at the 1 o'clock position on the front of the transmission it will lead you to the solenoid block. Check the coil for ohms 20-40 and then also the connector for ground and power with brake released and wheels blocked. let me know where your at.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The I'd number is
L180V60235
So I should test Ohmes on the solenoid and check for power and ground on the plugs? I believe there are two solenoids in the parking circuit.

hello thanks for that info. that should be a e model if its a 2002 machine. do you have an electric switch on the dash to switch the brake on and off or is a lever valve?

There is only one solenoid for the brake but some older units used a pressure reducing valve in conjunction with the block. They will leak off giving a whining sound every few seconds while the machine is running and you will feel a thump when the brakes charge and release.

yes you want to use ohms for the solenoid and volts on the plug side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not entirely sure what year it is the guy in Volvo parts says it's a V model. Yes there is a switch on the dash I'll send a pic of the diagram I have

well there isn't a v model so i'm thinking he meant D. the pic would help and i will send a couple of pics when i return home to help with idenity. Were you able to locate the solenoid?

here is some info to help diagnose the issue. should be what your looking at.

here is the schematic to help trace out. check the two fuses first then follow the power through the circuit. So for instance fuse 15 is key on power, then goes to connector DA on the circuit board which is pin 9 and a yellow wire, which then goes to the parking brake switch 501 to terminal 6 and 7. you get the idea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the machine will be in front of me tomorrow night. I'll let you know what I find out thank you for the info. I will get back to you.

very well let me know please.

Just following up to make sure the info I sent was helpful. Thanks, Dan