Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

2008 Caterpillar 287C Skidsteer Left Joystick Buttons are

Customer Question

2008 Caterpillar 287C Skidsteer Left Joystick Buttons are not functioning. All fuses and wiring harness appears ok
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is your machine serial number? Did you test the fuses on both sides for power using a test light with the IGN switch on? Are you getting any error messages or warning indicators?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial # ***** No error messages or warning indicators. I visually inspected each fuse, but have not check voltage at each fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did check and there is no voltage on the pins in auxiliary electrical connector. Was functioning properly when last used last week when turbo saw was disconnected from skid steer and connected again today and does not function. I can check the voltage at each fuse, but will take me about 30 minutes and will let you know.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. The proper way to check your fuses is by probing the two top metal tabs on both sides using a test light with the key on. Any fuse with power only on one side is faulty. Is it only the buttons for (The switches on the left joystick are:-horn (3)-auxiliary electrical control "C1" (4)-auxiliary electrical control "C2" (5)-continuous flow control (6)The trigger switch (not visible) located on the front side of joystick is used to control thetwo-speed function or the auxiliary electrical function "AUX 7." The multifunction switch onthe left overhead console determines the functionality of the trigger switch.)

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The directional part of the controls work?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Click here for some operation and troubleshooting info that should be helpful.

Troubleshooting

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Directional controls are fine. Auxiliary 4, 5 7 and horn are not working. I am not sure about continuous flow. Will go check fuses now. Will update when finished
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. The C series machines use one ECM for the Aux and main funtions as opposed to the B series using independent ECMs. Check the fuses and relays as well as the ones behind the cab in the engin compartment. Check the display panel for logged event codes by using the procedure in the manual I posted and let me know. Also check the harness at the base of the joystick for damage or loose/broken connections. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses good I checked fuses behind can earlier they are good. Harness at base of handle all looks in great shape. All wires to buttons and trigger all look great as well. I will check log and let you know
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a digital multi meter to check OHMs ( continuity of the switches open/closed) and for circuit voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have multi meter, but it is not digital, as it is quite old. It is functional. My Digital meters are all several hours away.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. You still will be able to test the switches with your analog from the connector.... This will at least confirm or condemn any of the switches are open. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mode 1 codes
490-3
2687-8
2688-8
2685-8
600-3Mode 2 Codes
E875-2Mode 3 Codes
E568-2
E570-2
E875-2
E875-1
E360-2
E361-3
E391-1All fuses below cab test good and the two power relays below those fuses have continuity
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

E568-2

Unexpected Left Motor Forward Speed Detected

This event indicates that unexpected motor speed in the indicated direction has been detected. The direction of the wheels/track has moved faster or slower than expected.

E391-1

Inlet Air Restriction

Inspect the engine air cleaner inlet and ducting. Ensure that the passageway is not blocked or collapsed.
Inspect the engine air cleaner element. Replace if needed.
Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, SEBU8019, "Engine Air Filter Element - Clean/Replace "

E570 (2) Unexpected Right Motor Forward Speed Detected Activates: When speed on one track is faster than expected or in opposite direction than expected
Deactivates: Must cycle keyswitch to clear the event..

E875 (1) Low System Voltage Activates: System voltage < 9 V, engine speed = 0 rpm
Deactivates: System voltage > 10 V

· Loose/corroded battery cables and ground connections
· Check batteries for failure. .

E875 (2) Low System Voltage Activates: System voltage < 12 V and engine is running
Deactivates: System voltage > 12.25 V and engine is running

E360-2 Low Oil Pressure - Derate

E361-3 High coolant temperature. .

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I will be looking up the others and posting shortly as well

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

2685-8Left Drive Motor Speed Sensor #1: Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width, or PeriodSensor Signal (PWM) - Test

2688-8Right Drive Motor Speed Sensor #2: Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width, or PeriodSensor Signal (PWM) - Test

2687-8Right Drive Motor Speed Sensor #1: Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width, or PeriodSensor Signal (PWM) - Test

490-3 Park Brake applied while shift lever not in neutral

600-3 High hydraulic oil temperature warning

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Except for the battery none of the rest appear electrical. Battery cables are good will test battery voltage. Machine cranks and everything else is operational. Was working in very dusty environment for a few days and was aware of all the other temperature related issues. Still do not know where to go from here
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

For starters I would confirm you do not have a low voltage issue that could cause all kinds of problems. Test the battery and clean, inspect and tighten all battery to starter connections and grounds to the chassis. Test your alternator as well to be sure it is charging. These events could be likely past events .

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

We need to know if the switches themselves test good in the joystick handle or if any fail. If the switches are good and they pass a continuity test then we can eliminate them from the equation. It is unlikely all are bad but we need to know that they all pass

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check battery alternator and switches in the morning and let u know. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

See PDF pages 15 and 16 in the publication I posted. I can only give you the checks without Cat ET. The B series machines you could get through more troubleshooting without Cat ET software but the C series is a different animal. There is one main ECM that controls everything. The only thing you can do on a C is voltage checks and harness and connector checks for connector pin corrosion and harness damage, fuses and relays. Beyond that Cat made it so a laptop is needed to view the parameters, run calibrations and tests, etc. Let me know if you find any issues with the above. If not, see if you have someone who has Cat ET access that can plug it in for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery and alternator good. All battery connections were in good shape. All connections cleaned anyway and retightened. No voltage to any switches in left joystick. Retraced wire from joystick to back of cab and it all looks like new. In the fuse panel in cab there are 20 fuses and 10 other special fuses or breakers with 5 pins. I switched the top ones for the bottom ones. In the book they are listed under the fuse section under a section titled Solenoids. At the end of the day after doing all this we still have no voltage to the buttons on left joystick. I am three hours to the nearest shop that would have the computer and software to hook the machine to. Any other ideas.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. Be sure you have continuity in the harness from the joystick to the ECM. If so follow the pinouts for those circuits using the manual I posted and test the ECm inputs and outputs for those circuits for a possible ECM issue. The next step unfortunately is to have ET plugged in and reflashed. Call and see if they can reflash your ECM on the bench if you brought it to them. Most Cat dealers have the harness to do so. The dealer I worked for had those capabilities. Let me know