Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

Well I have a s175. some mice got in it and chewed some

Customer Question

Well I have a s175. some mice got in it and chewed some wires. I repaired the one I could see. It starts and drives but the pedals are stuck. So I need help tracking down the problem.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Fieldtech59 replied 1 year ago.

Yep, I don't know just what it is but wiring insulation must taste like candy to mice, I've had to repair the carnage to a wiring harness from rodents on many different machines. When you say the "pedals are stuck", I assume you're referring to the lift/tilt pedals are locked, can't work the loader arms or bucket functions.

If this is correct, the first thing I need to know is do you hear three beeps from the alarm? When you first power up ignition, even before you start the machine, you should hear a single long beep from the alarm, that beep is the self test and also tells you the alarm is working. Once you start the machine, drop the seat bar, and push the "operate" button, if there's any faults in the electrical system you'll hear three short beeps from the alarm. Does the machine make those three beeps at any time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If the bar is up and you turn on the ignition you get a beep then three quick beeps. When you lower the bar and hit green button there are no beeps.

Ok, anytime you hear three quick/short beeps on a Bobcat, that's the ECU telling you that it's seeing a fault and there will be active fault codes. The very moment you hear those three beeps, don't do anything else, don't touch anything, instead, right then, push and hold down the button for the headlights, this will bring up the fault code(s) in the hour meter display that is causing the fault. The codes will look something like 13-42, and there could be multiple codes, it will scroll through them if there is. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1807

Stand by, I was working on a reply when my brother called, be back shortly.

Sorry about the interruption.

Well, code 18-07, spool lock coil open circuit. The ECU is seeing an open (broken) wiring circuit to the spool lock coils. It could be the spool lock coils are short circuited, but that's just a possibility. The most likely cause, given the circumstances, there's still a broken spot in the wiring caused by Mr Mouse that you haven't found and repaired.

When you drop the seat bar and push the operate button, the ECU sends a 12V input to the spool lock coils on the main control valve via wire #4360, that wire splits into wires #4370 and #4380 to the two coils on the control valve. I'm fairly certain you just have a broken wire that you haven't found and not a problem with the BICS panel or the ECU because you're not getting a code related to the BICS solenoid, which tells me it's working proper, the code you're getting is only related to the spool lock coils.

Yes, there's always a possibility that the wiring damage caused damage to the ECU (like as in a short circuit), but that's really a remote possibility, the Bobcat ECU is incredibly self protective, they're very keen at not allowing an external problem frying it, instead it will shut down and lock everything out.

I think you need to go back and check the harness closely checking for a spot where wire #4360 is broken. Yes, I know what I'm asking, checking the wiring harness on a Bobcat is a major PITA, been there done that myself, but that's the next step I'd take.

Here's a pic of the main control valve, the spool lock solenoids are pointed out with red arrows, that's the circuit that's giving you a problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks ill check it better tomorrow and get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where should i look for the 4360? I found the other ones but really dont want to just start cutting the protective mesh off the harness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks. The main break was right at the ecu. Fixed it and about 50 more little samples and we are up and running. Thanks

Sorry about the delay checking back in, I spent the last half of the day in the service truck on job sites. Good to hear you got it sorted out, wish I could tell you how to control the mice, but I ain't got that figured out myself yet. Remember, any time you hear three short beeps on your machine, stop right then and check the codes. Bobcats don't store codes like automotive ECU's, they only work with active codes. Once you shut it off everything re-sets until a fault happens again.