Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a grey machine, cat 311c and it keeps throwing up

Customer Question

I have a grey machine, cat 311c and it keeps throwing up codes e004, err6, & a err9... Can you tell me what these codes are and how to fix it
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

Where are you seeing these codes? Dash or A/C panel?

What is the full machine serial number? (Some C series will cross over to US versions)

What issues are you having with this machine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is cutting the hydraulic power down to very slow and the boom will let down but not raise back up, one track will work the other wont. Just slot of hydraulic issues. The codes come up on a black box that has been added to the excavator as part of it being a grey machine... Is there anyway I can take this black box off the machine?

What is it connected to?

Where is it located?

What is the machine serial number?

Hydraulics will not limit one track speed. That is more likely a valve problem or pump issue.

Can you upload a picture of this box? Does it have any part numbers on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's dark here can I get back with you in the morning

I will be back online tomorrow night. If you need help earlier, I will OPT-OUT.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The serial number to my machine is
CAT0311CHCLK02239
It was made in Japan
Here is some pics I took of that box where the codes come up and this box is connected to the boom and another box on the side of the boom. That picture of that tag was stuck on the front of that box in the cab, sure hope you can help with this and can tell us if and how this box can be removed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you get the message from earlier today

I just got in and have researched the part number on that tag.

The number does show it is a monitor and is part of a monitor group but, I cannot find any related operation material to use for reference.

I believe it is a heavy lift monitor to prevent machine overloading when lifting heavy objects. I would assume it is all a dealer add-on part but, I have no idea how they tied it into the controller.

Please post some pictures of the boom cylinders and any odd colored boxes on the machine. Get a picture of the pump compartment and the electronic boxes behind the cab. (This is were US versions add-on attachments.)

I can find a parts book but, the manuals are not available for these machines. A 311C U manual for CKE serial numbers is about as close as I can find From a US version. (PAD prefix is also related to your CLK prefix.)

The parts book does not show this attachment so, it must be a regional requirement that is added on and not a factory option.

None of the monitor groups show in the US market manuals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks, ***** ***** said it is dark here now but I can take more pics in the morning and send them to you,,, it looked like this morning the wires are going behind the seat and out to the boom, like you said to prevent it to lifting heavy materials.. I use the machine for cleaning out tail ditches on my farm and this box is causing me a lot of problems

That is fine. I am curious to see how this is installed. I think the worst case would be a new controller would be needed as programing may not be possible with the grey market machine.

Did this machine come to you with this issue or is this a new problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a fairly new problem, I have put a good many hours on the machine before this problem has occurred but here lately it has been doing it a lot... My cat mechanic can fool with that box on the boom and a few wires, it clears off the codes but it won't stay off, the problem comes right back

I have not received any other pictures.

Have you solved this problem?

If so, what did you find?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we are going to get back with you tomorrow, it's been raining and haven't had a chance up get the pics, will send them to you tomorrow promise

Thanks for the update. I just wanted to know our status, I will be looking for your post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally able to get back with you, here are some pics
1st picture is a sensor that is located on the left side of the boom( if you are sitting on the machine) and there is another one of these sensors at the base of the boom. 2nd and 3rd pics is of the pump compartment 4th pic is a box inside the cab screwed to the floor 5th pic is an override switch in the cab that will override the codes on that box and let's the machine work as normal 6th pic is the main cylinder on top of boom, it has some kind of hydraulic block on it with 2 small hydraulic lines feeding it plus the main line located on the right side of cylinder if you are sitting in the cab 7th pic is a tag with some part # ***** something that may be helpful to identify, it's right under the cylinder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1st pic is behind the seat
Hope all these pictures will help

Thanks for the pictures. I did not get #5,6 or 7 from the first group.

The first picture is a position sensor. (It is used on wheel loaders too) With it tie where it is currently, that is telling the machine the stick is all the way out and will limit your lifting power.

The two pump compartment pictures show a normal group, I don't see anything I would not normally see on other machines.

The fourth picture is the location of the machine pump controller but, that does not look like the US versions. If you can find a part number on it, maybe that will point me to more on this attachment.

The first picture of the second group is showing the lock valve lines for the boom cylinders. This is seen on US machine as a safety option to hold loads on the boom without drifting. Often call "Anti-drift valves".

the second picture appears to show another box with a light on it, I have not see one located here on the US machine and I am not certain it is related to the boom system. A part number of this box may show me more on it too.

The third picture looks like a normal machine but, the fourth picture is much different from US machines.

It shows another "Anti-drift valve" on the stick cylinder and it will hold loads like the boom valve do.

However the hoses are not mounted to the side of the boom on US machines. This is only seen here on CR versions (Close Radius) which have not overhang on the back counterweight.

So, this does concern me that the ECM (controller box beside seat) is different and if it is the only one on the machine, you will not be able to remove it. Since you do have backup switches, you can use the machine in this mode as long as your monitor is still working and showing your gauges.

Although you may not have any engine oil pressure warning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is 5,6,&7 again and I also got a few pics of where the wires are going to that small grey box that puts up the codes

Ok, that switch turns the system off?

I have not seen that one before either.

I will research the part number on that valve. I don't think is it related to the warning system though.

I believe none of these valves on the cylinders have any sensors, is that correct?

I would suspect the boom should have a position sensor on the base pin too. Is anything attached at the boom base or below the boom?

Do you have switches under the right armrest?

If you see part numbers on the wiring harness, send me the number or picture. That could be a big help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is some pics I took of the wiring from that box where the codes are??

Those are relays that have been added to the machine. I am not sure what they control.

Did you see any tags attached to the harness? Some have a small white tag with tape over it to protect the numbers.

I did find a configuration screen that may turn the system off.

Does you monitor have a touch below the screen? It will have arrows and other keys on the pad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the last set of pics I sent of the wire harnesses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a touch screen with Japanese writing and arrows going in all directions and I did see some white tags on the wiring harnesses but think they only had Japanese writing on them

Yes, I got the pictures. It is just relays and wiring though.

Look at these files. If this is your display, go into the service mode and then to the the configuration settings. Then go to ID 9 and change it to UNINSTALLED. Hopefully, this will turn off the overload warning device.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My guy that operates the machine says that the switch that you hold down to override that box does not have anything to do with the control panel that shows the temp and all the important info of the machine... So do you think if we can cross the wires at that switch to do away with the box it will work?? It is 4 color coded wires at that switch plug, can you tell me which ones to cross over to act like we are holding that switch down??

I don't have any information that covers the wiring of this system. That is why I was hoping you could find some part numbers on the wiring harness.

I would use a meter to see how the switch is working, (power or grounds) and see if the switch is open or closed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get those photos as soon as I can, it's been raining here again

That's fine. Thanks for keeping me posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some pics of a few wiring harnesses, these are the only ones that have numbers on them

I checked the part number and they must be for foreign markets only. I do not get any return on my searches other than them showing as good harness numbers. No related information to any machine at all.

About all I can suggest is to trace the wires to each control ECM and look for a connector that would separate the special harness from the machine harness.

The machine ECM is normally mounted behind the cab next to the relay box panel. This is the only controller ECM used on US machines other than the throttle cable box and the engine (if equipped with electronic controls)

I have never seen a machine that the configuration could not be changed. Hopefully, you can trace out the wires and locate the exact connector to try.

Since I cannot help, I will OPT-OUT and let others see this question. Maybe someone else has seen this before.