Derek Neustaeter
Derek Neustaeter,
Experience:  Heavy Equipment Technician at Warner Industries
90335403

I am having stalling trouble with a 1994 311 Excavator SN

Customer Question

I am having stalling trouble with a 1994 311 Excavator SN 9LJ00380. It blows black smoke and stalls, or nearly stalls, when putting a load on the machine, or when the cylinders for the boom, stick, or bucket are bottomed out. Also when turning machine. All filters have been changed and I verified machine was not in "limp mode" at the switch behind the seat. Anyone have any ideas how to diagnose and repair this problem?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Derek Neustaeter replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! I am a qualified Heavy Equipment Technician here at Just Answer, I will help you diagnose and repair the problem you are having with Excavator. There are a few problems that can cause black smoke with a diesel engine, I will do my best to walk you through a process of elimination to locate and repair the symptom you are having. Does the engine start quickly without any issues? If you perform whats called a "torque stall" you can identify if the problem is related to a powertrain or hydraulic issue, vs an engine issue. If you place the engine in gear and apply the throttle while your foot is on the brake, does the engine power out and smoke? If so, lets start with the following:

Lets start with the simple, least expensive, possible problems. You mentioned that you have changed all the filters, have you check the air filter, housing, and intake piping for any restrictions? One of the most common problems with a black smoke symptom is a lack of air getting into the engine. If the airway is free of restriction there could be a problem with your turbocharger or fuel injection system, and can diagnose this issue further if you are still having problems.

I hope this answer helps you, I am here if you need any further assistance!

Take care,

Derek

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
engine starts very quickly. All filters are good. No leaks. It torque stalls as mentioned in original post. There are no brakes or clutch, everything is hydraulic. Someone suggested the PRV solenoid, but I don't know where it is located, or how to diagnose it. I do not want to just start throwing parts at it to fix it. Caterpillar is very proud of thier parts!!!

It torque stalls with no symptoms such as loss of power, or black smoke?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stalls, or nearly stalls with black smoke when putting it under any load except for the swing.

Throwing parts at a problem is a great way to spend lots of money. Lets see if we can diagnose this problem the first time!

Referring back to my first post, have you check the air filter, as well as the intaking piping, to check for any possible blockages?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep! All looks good......

Ok, thats great. Is there any chance you would have access to a gauge you could hook into the charge side of the intake? We need to make sure that we have the proper amount of boost reaching the engine while under load.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might have one. What range does it need to read?

The gauge should ready between 0 and 40 psi. At full torque stall this engine should produce more then 15 psi of boost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nevermind. It is in fact tthe PRV solenoid on the hydraulic system not reducing pump stroke as the engine loads up. Thanks anyway......

I'm happy to hear the problem has been fixed! If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know. If possible, please leave feedback on the help I provided today. It would be very appreciated!

Take care,

Derek

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K

I have now enabled the "I am ready to be rated" option.

Thanks for your business, and if there is anything else I can help you with in the future, just let me know.

Take care,
Derek