catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

3204 just rebuilt D3B has blow by from breather tube
,

Customer Question

Customer: 3204 just rebuilt D3B has blow by from breather tube
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: took engine out of frame for rebuild engine vandleized with sand machine shop cleaned it honed cyl. ground crank etc. I built engine in shop runs fine but has blow by has not gone out to work yet still at shop
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Construction and Road Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I m sorry no one could help you earlier. I will be glad to help if you still need it.

The 3200 series of engines originally had only two piston rings. These were Keystone type rings and were terrible at sealing when the engine idles too much.

The 3208 truck engine had lots of trouble from idling.

If you place the engine under load for a few hours, the blowby should decrease. After eight hours of HARD work, it should seat the rings and have less blowby.

If the engine if left idling for any extended period, the blowby can return.

I would not be concerned about to much blow by unless you are seeing a lot of oil with it.

Many of the older engines worked better after a good "Break-In" period and must would need eight hours of hard work to do it. A few would need longer times but, it mainly needs to be at normal operating temperature and under load to reach that "break-in" requirement.

Please include the full machine serial number with your reply if you need further help.

Thanks, Donnie