Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

Had my bobcat 643 with a d1402 kubota total rebuild it now

Customer Question

had my bobcat 643 with a d1402 kubota total rebuild it now has loud lifter noise and no rpms on high end and dies out when throttled all the way down,no need to use fuel shut off cable as it dies at low idle,the shop claims it was off a tooth on timing and fixed but came back the same way,loud lifters and no upper rpms or low idle?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

with valve specs at .007 to.008 inch, there should be no lifter noise!! The throttle and idle seem more related to a lack of fuel to the injection pump or the fuel shutoff solenoid not fully retracting. ??

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Fuel solenoid can be removed, to see if it is causing the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they claim they adjusted valves again but came back louder at somewhat high rpms well as high as it will go they are very loud.
I dont see that I have a fuel solenoid on this model. it is a reputable shop but starting to get worried mtr has a hour or two on it.
They also said they put all the spacers in the fuel timing it had before rebuild was done and it was a complete rebuild
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are the lifters hyd or solid lifters ?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Solid lifters! Does the engine kill with key? It has electric fuel shutoff solenoid, usually on the left end of the housing the pump body drops into. The timing is changed, by the gaskets/spacers under the pump body, is what shop tells you was not changed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it dont kill with key it has a fuel shut off pull. the shop says that they put all four shims back in for fuel timing that were in it before rebuild and like I said it has no low idle and no high rev rpm like it did before rebuild.I compared it to my buddies same year and WOW huge difference.I have owned it for 9 years so I know how it should sound and run i told them
why lifter noise still and its loud, think they didn't adjust proper ? 2nd time hmmm
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If no fuel solenoid, then you have a fuel supply problem. Are you getting a good volume of fuel delivered to the injection body?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Electric fuel pump should be running and supplying fuel to injection body in volume.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not electric its mechanical pump.
my biggest worries is the lifters
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

All you can do is remove rocker cover, and see if oil is getting to the upper parts and check the valve clearance!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

To test fuel system, make test line from the fuel transfer ump inlet, back into the fuel tank filler opening or a separate fuel container, and run test with suction system bypassed.