Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I dont know if you remember me .Its pete from 2011 JD 280

Customer Question

Hi Kevin i dont know if you remember me .Its pete from 2011 JD 280 skid steer Pakk brake not releasing still basically same problem had to leave it alone for a few years
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete,

It has been a while! If I remember correct the machine was located a good distance from your home so it wasn't simple for you to run and check things out. I have to apologize as although I recall you and the general problem I'm afraid I don't recall the specifics. If it's not too much trouble could you refresh my memory on what you have already checked.

I should also add that due to a very busy harvest season my response may be delayed a bit. I've only been taking questions that are personal requests such as yours as I'm finding it difficult to respond as soon as is proper.

Let me know what the symptoms are and what you have already done and I will do my best to get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Kevin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kevin yes it has been awhile i have boom & bucket solenoid { have it tied open to manual release } replaced park brake solenoid boom & bucket work fine .park brake solenoid shows between 6.8 & 7>5 ohms has good magnetism book calls for 8.8 to 10.5 ohms .boom pedals release but brakes wont release or nothing at steering arms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
went out now checked ohms at park brake solenoid showed 3.4 left machine running till starting to get warm solenoid showed 8.4 still no controls
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Although the 3.4 ohms is a bit low the 8.4 isn't real far off. As you know speck is 8.8 to 10.5. Before going too far I would verify if there is 12 volts at the solenoid coil connector. Can you tell me if the lamp for the parking brake turns off in the switch when released? Also is this a series II machine by any chance?

Let me know when you have a minute, Thanks,

Kevin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
doesent seem to be any power at solenoid the lamp does go out but pedals wont release they were and all hydraulics except steering and brakes did work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also yes it is series 11 machine
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so if the lamp goes out then the power circuit through the park brake switch to the instrument cluster is working correctly. The cc 715 wire at the park brake solenoid is supplied with constant power via the F4 interlock fuse. Since the boom and bucket lock out solenoids are working we know that the F4 fuse is good and you should find 12 volts with the key on at the park brake solenoid when using the engine or frame as a meter ground. If no power is found then we need to trace out the cc 715 wire for the open circuit.

The parking brake solenoid ground is actually provided by the instrument panel which is on the control side. If you found good power to the solenoid but no ground when seated, seat belt buckled, and parking brake released then check the instrument panel cc 730 purple wire for continuity to ground. Unfortunately it is not unreasonable to think that the instrument panel itself may be the cause of the fault. If boom and bucket controls are unlocking and you simply have no ground at the park brake solenoid then ohm test the cc 730 back to the instrument cluster. If the wiring checks good then replace the instrument cluster itself.

Keep me posted as I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics as needed.

Thanks,

Kevin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will go and check out boom and pedals now wont release it like a dejavu from 2010 have some hand operations coming up so will be disabled for a bit then will go and try what you suggest
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem on the delay. The dash is responsible for controlling the park brake and the hydraulic unlock controls. Unfortunately it isn't an uncommon failure but we want to make sure that the wiring isn't to blame before replacing the dash.

Keep me posted as it is convenient.

Thanks,

Kevin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why is my question closed the problem is not yet fixed ?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

They automatically close it when there is no activity. No worries, all you have to do is reply and it opens back up.

Kevin