Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a 1986 642b with the Mitsumi engine. I just bought it

Customer Question

I have a 1986 642b with the Mitsumi engine. I just bought it close to a year ago and always been a "Cold Blooded" starter but once running ran beautifully. Now, it has several months since I needed it so I added some Stable to the fuel this spring and it again ran fine once started.
Yesterday, I put it on a battery charger just to keep it charged. It is showing 12.5 but a slow 2 amp charge overnight couldn't hurt I figured. I tried to start it up and it just cranked but no starting at all. I opened the back and checked to see what I could see and with a good flashlight I could see that there is
1) no fuel in the little glass window (Why did they ever stop doing the little window).
2) I popped the bonnet that mounts to the top of the carb and can see that it is pretty dark in the throat.
3)Just for grins and giggles, I sprayed some Go-Go juice down the carb and it cranked and fired but still no fuel filling the carb window.
4)Trying to work my way backwards, I then popped the fuel source hose off and just cranked it a couple times. Nothing even coming from the fuel tank. I am not certain if the fuel pump is a suction or not but I figure it must be.
5)My brother has a 642b and I remember him having a problem with a gas shut-off valve which I remember was a pain in the backside to replace. I looked as far as I could from the back but I do see a couple of wires that head back in that direction.
I don't really want to take the carb off because I am big and access to the two nuts on the back of the carb looks pretty tight. I know that to just to find a carb kit I have to get the numbers off of it. Again, I don't want to pull it unless necessary.
Ideas: Part numbers for a fuel pump and/or fuel line shut-off? I've searched the internet but it seems like nobody wants to provide any online help which I total agree with but still leaves me sitting here with my thumb up my b%tt.
Another thing is that once it is started it purrs like a kitten and me with rebuilding carbs usually ends up getting done by a pro after I drop the one thing that nothing works well afterwards.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, sorry for long delay, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

Is this a Bobcat 642b?

I doubt this is a carb issue so do not pull off or apart for now.

What model mitsu engine 4g32?

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a misu 4cyl.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Is this a Bobcat 642b? there is more than one machine with this model number I don't want to waste my time

What model mitsu engine 4g32? mitsu has more than one 4 cylinder engine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was unaware of the fact they had different Melrose 642b engines. I know they also had Ford engines but not multiple Mitsu 4's under the serial number 504-M-26035.I agree, after thinking on it the carb can be eliminated since there is no fuel being seen through the glass window. So we are down to the fuel pump or the safety fuel cutoff valve.Im planning on running to town to get enough fuel line to by-pass the safety device and the fuel filter that I remember replacing on my brothers 642b/Ford edition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Something just happend that I don't understand. I just received a email stating that I had received a response (Second one this morning) but when I came into the app to check what the status is, there wasn't anything there?????
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

I did not respond, I'm trying to figure out what machine you have I have asked you twice if this was a BOBCAT? This is third time.

All I know is what I see on this page, even if you came here related to a certain machine.

I do agree with what you are going to do to check fuel system that would be next step.

I can't look up without the machine make,, the engine goes in many machines and fuel system can be different by machine not engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whoa there guy... I told you what I know and have not received an answer that could tell me to look at a specific location for what else you may me looking for. Right now I know:Melrose 642b s/n 504-M-26035. This info is on a plate on the inside of the engine compartment. What and Where should there be further numbers that you need?Instead of being rude, guide me to where the info is that you require and I will do my best to provide it (Obviously).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a Bobcat, Skidsteer or any other name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First, I have been in customer services (computer networking) for close to 20 some odd years now and NEVER did I ever have an employee or myself say: "that I was wasting their time when My TIME is what they are paying for. OK, water under the bridge at this point.
After not hearing back after several hours which kind of numbers and the suspect location of those numbers, I started calling around and within an hours time, I had found a professional that all the info she needed was the manufacturer, s/n, year and a four letter stamp on the block. I'm driving there to pick them up.
As it turns out, the safety fuel cutoff switch is defective from the very simple test of continuity which showed an obvious failure according to her. Like I said to stinky: "point me in a direction and I'll hunt for the info. You couldn't spend "your time" trying to work with me, instead you use excuses like "I've asked you three times now". WOW, Man you got BALLS! You shouldn't work with the public in any way, shape or form.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would hope that I am not being billed for this in any amount. This idiot is a waste of o2 (air).I've used you several times before and was always pleased with the personnel and their professionalism. This person is a real blackeye for all of you.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

I was not trying to be rude,,,I was just trying to explain how expert see the question and information so when we ask a question we need that information or we would not be asking for it.

If you want a refund contact customer service or use self refund button on your screen.

Best of luck to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brother, if you represent the next level of Mechanics and you are a Journeyman, there is going to be a list of pissed off customers just waiting for you.
You asked me if it was a Bobcat or not. Does Melrose 642b that I opened with within the first "TITLE" line mean anything to you? (Strike One) I walked in to my local Implement Service vendor and they had the parts sitting in front of me within 5 minutes and it wasn't from speaking to the gal from before. They opened their books, asked me the same info that I gave you. I asked him if there were any other Melrose 642b's with anything other than the stamp that I found on the block. Only in Canada or Alaska, nothing else was allowed to stay in the States because Melrose had started moving their manufacturing way back then. Melrose was/is its own Corporation but is 100% Bobcat. So your fretting about specific motors was also incorect (Strike Two). Your language/typing used comes off as you think your s&it don't stink. Hey, enough people being treated like this and you are going to be (Three Strikes) and then you'll be walking the streets with all of "YOUR TIME" and nobody to pay you for it.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

I'm not arguing with you or trying to piss you off,,I have worked on hundreds of different machines and the small details can change everything in a answer,,all the manuals I have say Bobcat in the title, I just wanted confirmation is all,all you had to say was yes.

We get questions from all over the world here!

Life's too short to get pissed off over something this stupid and nit picking everything,,I will take the high road,,I'm Sorry!

Happy trails and may God Bless you!