Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

My right final drive has no power after an apparent

Customer Question

My right final drive has no power after an apparent hydraulic leak. The leak is not visible through inspection openings. Put oil in and it works til oil runs out. I have the rear belly cover off and oil is leaking through the bottom towards the center of the frame. There are many hoses on this ,08 D5Gxl. not sure where but I am in the process of cribbing the ripper and blade to gain some height to get under it. There is s heavy dust build up after 3300hrs. In search of I'm not sure. Looking for s hose leaking or something simple hopefully.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

Are you still looking for help?

Can you post the full machine serial number?

Does the oil leak out fast or slow?

Have you noticed if it leaks out with the parking brake set or released?

Running a hydrostatic drive out of oil will cause serious damage. It will burnt the plates out in the pumps and send metal into the drive motors. If the system becomes contaminated with metal, all hydraulic components will need removing and disassembly for complete cleaning.

At a minimum, you will need to change the fluid, filters and inspect the filters for metal.