Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

518 skidder trans cooler failed, replaced cooler, let drain

Customer Question

518 skidder trans cooler failed, replaced cooler, let drain overnight, drained filter housing, cleaned screen. How do I get rid of residual moisture?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

You are doing the best method to clean the transmission. Older transmissions can accept up to a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and oil but, this is not recommended for new transmissions as they have fiber clutch disc. Your 518 should have the bronze sintered clutch disc and the fuel will not hurt them.

Either way, you will still need about three oil changes to clean the transmission. Do the first change in the shop after running the machine to warm the oil. Do the second change after a day of use. Then the third if the oil looks strange or oil sample indicates moisture.

I do think this is odd as it is more common for the radiator to fill will oil rather than the water getting into the transmission. (50 psi oil pressure vs. 15 psi coolant pressure.)

I am assuming this machine did loose coolant and maybe had oil in the radiator too?

If I can help further, please include the full machine serial number with your reply.