Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

Wayne: I have starter problems. Do you think you can help?

Customer Question

Hi Wayne:
I have starter problems. Do you think you can help?
Doug
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a John Deere 310 Backhoe that sat unused for 3 years. I have replaced the starter & solenoid as well as the battery. I have cleaned all contacts and checked the ground wire from the battery. I have used a jumper cable to also make sure starter is grounded. I have tried to short between positive and "S" terminals on the solenoid but still only get a loud click. I am not sure I am doing this correctly. While I had the starter off I turned the flywheel to make sure the engine was not locked up.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to test with? What is voltage at the starter? Sounds like low voltage to the starter, may be cable problem. And don't overlook the ground to the frame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis: I do have a meter available. I am a novice when it comes to starters. Which terminals do I need to measure? I assume key switch on and push button depressed? The ground to frame is under steel floor that will require removing seat and floor panels to get to. I was able to get a pick in there and scratch around. I took a photo with my iPhone. I used one side of a jumper cable to create a ground from the neg battery terminal to the starter housing. Don't know if that is acceptable or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added a couple of photos.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You want to measure voltage on the main battery cable at starter.Red lead to cable, black to ground. From the little I can see, You need a new cable from battery to starter.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If the ground jumper cable did not help, ground must be ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read 12.6 volts on that terminal. I have attached a photo showing the two positive wires that are on that terminal.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Smaller wire is the power wire to fuses, and dash. Other is the battery cable. Check voltage when you try to start. If voltage falls below 8 volts, you have voltage problem, and cable would be first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK under load the voltage only drops to 12.25 volts. Click only starter makes no noise at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see my response so I'll post again. The voltage only drops to 12.25 volts under load. Solenoid clicks but starter is totally silent.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Solenoid is not kicking in the starter. You tried to energize the starter from the switch post to the posiitve post.? That should spin the engine. With no response from starter, the starter may be defective!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

One last thing to try , is go direct to the stater with jumpers and see if it will work.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Looking at the starter picture, you do have the switch wire on the S terminal???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Curtis:
I use a screwdriver to make connection between the Positive Post and the S post. Still only got a click.The starter came from CarQuest and I understand they have had a lot of problems lately with defective parts. Local dealer is changing to NAPA in a few weeks.
When you say go direct to starter with jumpers are you saying positive to large hot terminal on starter and ground to S terminal? As you can tell I'm not to knowledgable when it comes to starters. The switch wire is on the terminal labeled "S".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis:
How do I go direct to starter with jumpers? I have to go in and work for several hours. I would like to take this starter to town when I go if it is defective.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis:
I have exchanged the starter with the parts house and will install it when I get home tonight. I had not noticed until today that "Made In China" is stamped on the box. Very sad.
I will let you know if this solves the problem.
Thanks, Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis are you still here?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I am back in town!