catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

Dear, i have Cat 3412E engine, after overhaul engine and

Customer Question

Dear, i have Cat 3412E engine, after overhaul engine and during on floor test, engine running fine after once the cold mode exit in cat et. actuation pressure stable with desire.. oil pressure and fuel pressure all or ok.. but boost pressure sensor remain
0 and 2 KPA from start of engine to untill exit cold mode.. also there is no fault code in ET. i also test manually the sensor with sending air inside via air pipe than pressure i can see in cat ET. once we move high idle to 1200 rpm above till 1800 rpm engine
run very rough, and white smoke. during high idle boost pressure maximum shows 4.5 KPA. but fault code. i replace the turbocharger core, aftercooler, all intake lines.. turbocharger currently sucks air directly there is no air filter or suction lines.i really
dont understand why no boost pressure show, and why ET not showing the fault code. kindly help me out urgent as engine really need to go back to in equipment as fast.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I will be glad to help you if you still need it.

What is the part number of the sensor?

What is the part number of the injectors you installed?

What is the part number of the software used in this engine's ECM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dear, we always received replay too late.. the injector we used(###) ###-#### *****(###) ###-####(###) ###-####Turbo Boost sensor....

Thanks for the reply. Have you found the problem?

I did confirm the correct software was used to match the injectors. I have seen the wrong software used and it caused severe power problems.

Below are notes on the correct match of injectors. You must use all the same injectors. Remanufactured versions can be used with their new counterparts. Never mix different injector part numbers (232-1175 or 10R-1265 "Prime" with 232-1183 or 10R-1266 "Non-Prime"). I use the 10R1266 REMAN injectors and have not had any problems. Always select the software to match the injectors. If you upgrade to the "Non-Prime" injector, you cannot go backwards to the "Prime" injector. Software interlock will prevent the downgrade.

The 3412E Industrial Engines were built by using prime injectors and non-prime injectors. The engines that were built after 4CR01885 and BDT01195 use only the non-prime injectors. The 3412E Locomotive Engines use only the prime injectors.

232-1183 or 10R-1266 injectors(###) ###-####software

I researched the sensor part number and did not find any service issues with the sensor or the wiring.

Do you still need help with this issue? If so, lease let me know what you have done so far and post the full engine serial number with your reply. If this is in a CAT machine, please post the full machine serial number too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dear, all injector is OK, inside our engine 11 injector is(###) ###-####and 1 injector 10R1266. But problem remain same boost pressure shows only "0" in CAT et... but also no fault code.. during 1800 RPM high idle boost pressure maximum goes to 4 to 5 KPA.. we had check the complete line of air intake and nothing leak was found..during i check the cat et parameters fuel position with FRC and RATED Limit.. in low idle Fuel Position is low from FRC and too low against RATED Limit.. but in high idle 1800 RPM, fuel position high than FRC and RATED. why this difference is coming....now finally today we had remove the cylinder head for checking any Valve Insert Leak with Intake Valve.. with this can also boost pressure drop or not develop...

Thanks for the reply. I will need the full serial numbers of the engine and the machine to help you much further.

I have never had valve inserts leak. If they were loose, they fell out and were destroyed by the piston and that was the reason I made repairs.

I don't work in the dyno shop so, I can't tell you how the engine will respond on the dyno. I have not had this issue myself beyond fixing the air inlet as you have already done.

Here is a note about the FRC limits.

The personality module inside the ECM sets certain limits on the amount of fuel that can be injected. The FRC Limit is a limit that is based on the boost pressure. The boost pressure is calculated as the difference in pressure between atmospheric pressure and turbocharger outlet pressure. The FRC Limit is used to control the air/fuel ratio for control of emissions. When the ECM senses a higher boost pressure, the ECM increases the FRC Limit. A higher boost pressure indicates that there is more air in the cylinder. When the ECM increases the FRC Limit, the ECM allows more fuel into the cylinder.

Have you tried replacing the atmospheric pressure sensor? All pressure readings are based from this sensor's reading. If it reads too low, all pressures will be too low.

If you manual set the boost pressure by using shop air pressure, does the engine respond correctly? ( You said you tested the sensor this way, why not see if the engine will respond to the extra boost pressure?)

Please post the serial numbers so I can help you further.