JBFixxer
JBFixxer, Mechanic
Experience:  16+ years experience, hydraulics,hydrostatics, engines, fuel injection systems. And everything in between.
18883126

I have a brand new bandit brush with 10 hours on her, cat

Customer Question

i have a brand new bandit brush chipper with 10 hours on her, cat 114hp motor, started spewing coolant out of the overflow hose today, coolant temp was 204 degrees. is this normal?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

If coolant was overfilled, it will always push out the excess coolant.

An air gap must always be left in the tank for expansion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no kidding. coolant level was correct and it already had hours of hard use under similar conditions.

Sorry, your said it was brand new. It was my assumption you were also new to equipment. I am sure you have seen how rental machines get abused.

No, this is not normal. Possible blown head gasket. It should be overheating if you are working it hard.

If you are not, then it can stay at a normal temperature.

Have you tried the "Bottle test" to check for a combustion leak into the coolant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's not a rental. i have put all 10 hours on it with no coolant spill until today for no apparent reason
it didn't overheat, as i said. so why would it spew coolant all of a sudden without overheating? and it shouldn't overheat if it's working hard, it's a chipper, meant to be worked hard. fuggetabout it

Ok, I will OPT-OUT so others can see your question. I am not familiar with these machines anyway. My experience is with mining machines.

Expert:  JBFixxer replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer. 204 deg. F is a bit high, even if it is a Tier 4 emissions engine. Under 200 would be more the norm.

At 10 hours, all trapped air in the cooling system would have been cleared, so we can rule that out as a possibility.

One possibility is that the fan belts are loose, after being run for 10 hours, they may have seated, and are now under less than necessary tension, check to see if that is the case.

Another possibility is that the airflow over the radiator is being obstructed, check to see that there is no debris blocking the airflow.

And last, The term "worked hard" can mean any number of things, even hint at the possibility of exceeding the limits of the unit, this would cause a higher than normal temperature, however it would not spew forth coolant at an excessive rate/amount.. in other words, a little is to be expected; pints or more, not good and I would suspect engine problems. Bring it back and have it checked out, there should be some form of warranty on a unit this new.