catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

We have a catterpillar 834b with the 3408 engine and

Customer Question

we have a catterpillar 834b with the 3408 engine and experience engine overheating after 1 to 2 hours
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am sorry no one could help you earlier. If you still need it, I will be glad to help.

If you have not checked the water pump, that is probably next. Inspect the impeller cover for signs of erosion wear. It must be smooth and not have any grooves in it. If you do see signs of erosion, replace your radiator pressure regulator. This is very important as pressure must be keep in the system to keep the boiling point up and erosion damage down. Cooling system pressure should stay about 7 psi or slightly higher.

Also look at your air inlet system. This engines like to smoke anyway but a restricted aftercooler will drive up engine temperatures too. Test turbo boost on both sides of the aftercooler to verify it is not plugged.

One rare case I heard about, the muffler became plugged and caused restriction high enough the engine was becoming weak and overheating.

If you need more help on this issue, please post the full machine serial number with your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes we still experience overheating. Let me give you a bit of history of what the customer told us.
1. Engine drop a valve after long standing period.
2. Cylinder head was repaired, new piston and sleeve was installed
3. The other cylinder head was also tested and gasket replaced.
4. Radiator and both oil coolers were removed and cleaned.
5. Rpm was found @ 1400 and overheating with in 2 to 3 hours
6. Rpm adjusted to spec 2550 and overheating within half an hour.we will check the items you mentioned. if there is someting els you can think of it will be appreciatedwe need Cylinder Liner and Piston protrusion and also cylinder head minimum thickness. and cyl head bolt lenght if posible.

I am sorry, you did not post the serial numbers. I cannot find the specs' you want without them.

Are you seeing the coolant blow out? Is he radiator pressure too high? Have you performed a combustion leak test?