catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

Where would I check shavings after I replaced final drive on

Customer Question

Where would I check for metal shavings after I replaced final drive on left side Bucket will not raise and left track is binding because it's not getting fluid
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure I can help you but, if this is a CAT excavator, the flow returns to the main control valve. However, the left track (with final drives a the back and viewed from the back) would not be part of the bucket circuit. CAT excavators would be the right circuit; boom, auxiliary, bucket and right track are shared. The swing, stick and left track are shared on the other half of the main control valve.

It is possible to have debris from the travel motor return and cause problems in the valve. It is also possible the pump has sent the debris to the travel motor and that side of the valve.

A catastrophic failure can contaminate the entire hydraulic system. The tank should be cleaned as well as every large component. The newer the machine, the more important this becomes as they have more valves that control the machine functions.

If you need more help and this is a CAT machine, please include the full serial number with your reply. If it is not CAT, I can only help with generic answers as I will not have any detailed information about the machine.