Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Certified.
30708357

2001 cat 330bl excavator with a 3306 engine wont start but

Customer Question

2001 cat 330bl excavator with a 3306 engine wont start but blowing excessive amounts of black smoke out of exhaust. Already changed out injectors.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

So the engine spins over and does not start? It just blows out black smoke?

Did it just start doing this all of a sudden?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just turns over but does not start. Mostly black and a little grey in with it. Was starting fine then the next day cranked longer than usual to get it started and now wont start at all. Sometimes acts like its going to hit but doesnt.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information.

If it is smoking and the injectors have been replaced. I would suspect a timing issue first. Has the pin timing been checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that was going to be my next step. just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something simple.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Yeah I would definitely check the pin timing. Let me know what you find.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry had a 3 weekend off from work. Pin timing is dead on.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all.

If the pin timing is good and there are no inlet restrictions. Plus the injectors have been changed. I must next suspect a problem with the pumps in the fuel system. They can wear or become damaged and cause smoke. The o my other thing that can cause this is a problem in all six cylinders. This would be rare unless there was valve or piston damage.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did replace the transfer pump as well but didnt change anything, still smoking while cranking but no start. So thinking injection pump maybe? No inlet restrictions what so ever.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. Yeah if there is no inlet restriction problem. I would next suspect the pump. Do confirm there's no cylinder problem, you may want to remove a few injectors and close the valves. Then blow air into the cylinders to make sure they hold air. If they do. I definetely suspect the fuel system.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.