Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I've recently purchased a 2012 Cat 236B-3 with 330 hrs on

Customer Question

I've recently purchased a 2012 Cat 236B-3 with 330 hrs on it. Machine is in excellent condition but I'm coming up with 2 issues.
Issue 1 - battery light. The red battery light has been on since I bought it. Today was the first time it wouldn't start. So I jumped it. Ran it for a few minutes. It died again and wouldn't take another jump. I swapped the battery for a new one and the machine started like it should with no jump. Battery light is still on though. Does that mean my alternator is toast?
Issue 2 - high coolant temp. After about 20 minutes of working the machine hard the high temp beeper and light come on. I have checked the coolant levels and everything seems to be at the right levels. I've been reading a little and I have read that the thermostat needs to be replaced fairly frequently. That seems odd to me though. Should I start with the thermostat or somewhere else?
Thank you,
Caleb
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The alternator is not charging. HAve it tested before spending money on a new one. It can be bad, but there are other things that can keep it from charging,

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

On overheat, is radiator fins clean? Is fan belt tight and fan turning? If all external parts are good, then replace the thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I was thinking. Thank you. What do you think about the high temp alarm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
radiator is clean and fan is running powerful. I'll grab a thermostat. Thank you.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

High temperture alarm may be plugged radiator.