Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a New Holland skid steer LX885 and I changed the fuel

Customer Question

I have a New Holland skid steer LX885 and I changed the fuel filter and now it won't start i have tried the bleeder on the side of the [ump but no fuel there,any ideas?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If you open the bleeder at the injection pump and use the primer and get no fuel, you are sucking air at filter you just changed!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I fill the filter so that I can prime and start the machine?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The primer should pull fuel into the filter and fill it! If primer is only sucking air, you have a leak in the fuel system before the primer. With spin on filter, you fill it before install.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a two chamber water separator and fuel filter. I can see the sediment bowl does not fill with fuel and I have left it loose and then tightened it and loosened the filter. Neither one would fill up. I tried taking the sediment bowl off and filling it but it would not stay full. I can take them both off and try and put fuel in them and put them back in but this is not a spin on filter. What do you suggest?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I replaced the fuel filter, the water separator was really full of debris and the filter was dirty but not excessively dirty. I did start the motor again after changing out the filter and cleaning the water separator. It ran for a couple of minutes and turned off. Haven't gotten it started since.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

you may have plugged line. Does the primer feel like it is doing anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont know where the primer is- Where is it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

# ***** , a bladder looking affair.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

http://www.messicks.com/nh/317623?sectionId=26271&diagramId=317623_323780

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diagram was helpful thank you. If I have a clogged line, how do I clear it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Blow through hose, back into the tank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go try it now and let you know how it works. Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok,thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I blew through the line and did get fuel. then re assebled the water seperator and fuel filter and got fuel in them it still will not start?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You have to get all the air out up to the injection pump with the primer. Then if it does not start, you loosen the high pressure injection lines at the injectors and crank until you have fuel squirting. Then tighten the lines and start the engine!