catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

My name is I'm looking at buying a 1995 cat 315L,the problem

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** looking at buying a 1995 cat 315L,the problem is that it will move forward and backwards but will not turn, do you know what might be wrong. Another thing is when I raise the boom all the way up and hold the lever it about kills the engine, didn't know if that would be part of the problem. If you could help I would appreciated it Thanks.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

The boom power could be a clogged strainer or fuel filter. A hidden screen is in the inlet banjo fitting of the lift/transfer pump and is often missed searching for low fuel pressure problems.

The turning issue is usually the hydraulic swivel seals are blown out and need replacing. This is common for machines over 7000 hours. Seals are a cheap repair and I always start with them first.