Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have an old 1990's vintage link-belt LS 3400 c2 excavator.

Customer Question

I have an old 1990's vintage link-belt LS 3400 c2 excavator. I need to take the track off. Even with the manual available I can't figure out how too release the tension on the track - there is no visible tension release adjustment like there is on the link- belt quantum.
Any advise much appreciated!
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Fieldtech59 replied 1 year ago.

Have you removed the grease valve from the track tension cylinder? Pretty much every excavator I've worked on you unscrew the grease valve to release the grease pressure in the cylinder. Once you relieve the pressure, remove the valve entirely, then push the track idler in, this allow the grease to escape the cylinder via the grease valve hole while retracting the cylinder. Most grease valves take a 19mm deep socket to remove them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen the grease valves on the newer models. That's my problem. This seems to be an automatic tension supplied directly by the hydraulics. There is no access that I can find to a grease valve as on the other models.

Wow! Brother, you've got something I've never seen before on any excavator I've ever worked on! With that said, I'm going to opt out of the question so it will go back on the board, maybe someone else has seen this before and can help.