Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I just bought a D5 G LGP cat and ran it an hour. I then

Customer Question

Hello this is Mickey. I just bought a D5 G LGP cat and ran it for about an hour. I then applied the parking brake, got off the machine to make sure there were no leaks etc. I then got back on and the machine would not move (i switched off brake). Any ideas?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mickey,

Several things could cause this issue.

A simple problem has been the switch itself. If it is old and does not have a solid click when you switch it on and off it should be replaced.

The solenoid could be the issue but, usually it is a wiring problem. I usually start by checking the connectors under the left step where you enter the cab. Check these connectors for damage, clean off any corrosion you find.

The battery voltage is very important. If you need to jump the machine, the alternator must charge correctly or the voltage will be too low to allow operation of the machine.

If this is an electrical issue with the ECM controller systems, the red lamp next to the fuse panel will be on. (NOTE; this will only come on for an active code. You must run the machine and attempt to move it to make the code active again.)

Here is a guide to see how to view LOGGED codes that are stored in memory. (click on the link below)

If you need more help with this problem, please post the machine's full serial number with your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. I'll check for corrosion tomorrow. The light you mentioned was on above the fuses.

That means you will have a code to help narrow down the problems.

Post all the codes you find in the same order they scroll out and I can find the related fault codes.

Usually the first code shown is the most recent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial number vfdw00665. I got on it this morning and ran it with no problems applied parking brake etc. tried one last time to apply parking brake then it wouldn't budge. The back up alarm made a different sound as well when attempting to put in reverse.

Thanks for the serial number.

Intermittent problems are usually electrical. We will need the fault codes to know which way to go.