Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have Bobcat 331 and originally was coming up with the "Fuel&quo

Customer Question

I have Bobcat 331 and originally was coming up with the "Fuel" code coming up when it wouldn't start put fuel in it then the battery was dead. So charged the battery and holds a good charge. Guy used it for half a day and then came back after lunch and said it would only idle and cut off every time you try to accelerate the engine, all the controls worked (bucket, drive, arm) just would not idle up. so i got to looking at it and no it wont even start, just cuts on for less then a second then shuts off. When you attempt to start it after entering the code the glow plug symbol comes on when you press the start button and i have to press the stop button then when the 15 second count down starts i can press the start button and that's when it only cuts on the right off. if i hold the little rubber vacuum looking diaphragm (where it says stop) on the back of the engine it will stay running. I am utterly confused and any help would be grateful. Thank you.
Also the small knob on the back of the injection pump, should it be screwed in or out? (Looks like fuel return) Also i have replace and primed the fuel filter to try and fix the problem.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Fieldtech59 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I think you may actually have a couple of things in play here, that is, if I'm understanding the things you noted. First of all having to charge the battery, have you determined why you had to do that? Is the alternator charging it properly? Is the battery failing? The reason I ask is if the battery voltage gets low (from lack of charge or failing battery) that machine will do all sorts of weird things, including engine will die. But I don't think that's the only problem because you charged the battery and still had the problem. Just to confirm, you don't have any problem cranking the engine, just a problem with it running, it just dies, no? The small knob on the injection pump does in fact connect to the fuel return rail, for operation it should be screwed in CW until it stops. That knob is a bleeder valve when you change the fuel filter. The way it works goes like this; change the fuel filter. open the bleeder screw on top of the fuel filter housing and pump the rubber primer bulb until fuel flows from bleeder screw. Close bleeder screw. Now open the bleeder valve on injection pump, pump primer bulb several times to purge air from injection pump. Close bleeder valve, you're good to go. The thing you mentioned that looks like a vacuum looking diaphragm (where it says stop), that sounds like you're describing the fuel shutdown solenoid, should have a wire connected to it and connects to the shut down lever via linkage. Does that sound right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problems cranking at all, starts for half a second then shuts off. If you try to crank it again without hitting the stop button it just cranks indefinitely with no start, the crank is not weak either.
And yes the wire is connected to the shutdown relay too.
Ok, I suspect a problem with the shutdown solenoid or the electrical circuit that controls it. Disconnect the wire that connects to the shutdown solenoid and pull the linkage in by hand, then take a piece of tie wire and tie it off in that position. See if the engine now starts and runs and doesn't give you that fuel error. That fuel solenoid, does it just have two wires connected to it, or does it have three wires?
The reason I want to tie that fuel shutdown lever in the run position is to verify we don't have a fuel supply problem. I suspect we don't, but I want to make sure. When you want to kill the engine, simply let the tie wire loose and the fuel lever will return to shutdown position.
If this works, we then have to figure out what part of the electrical is faulty. Most likely culprit is failed shutdown solenoid.