catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

I have a Cat 297C s/n GCP01449 that won't steer to the left.

Customer Question

I have a Cat 297C s/n GCP01449 that won't steer to the left. It travels fine F and R and steers to the right fine. When I try to steer to the left, it stops and the ! light comes on. The engine has to be shut off in order to get the machine to move after this happens.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, This sounds like your joystick controller has failed. It is a common issue with the C model. You can replace it and it may work ok but, it should be calibrated to the machine ECM controller. This will require the dealer to come out and perform the calibration as the ET software. You could have a wire problem from the joystick but, usually it is the sensors inside the joystick controller. Inspect the harness from the handle to the ecm located on the back side of the cab for damage. Use the wire numbers and colors connect to the handle as your reference for the same wires that connect to the ECM controller. Test for continuity for each wire. If no wire problem is found, replace the joystick and calibrate it.Regards, Donnie