Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

Jd5303 won't start. everything seems normal. shut down last

Customer Question

jd5303 won't start. everything seems normal. shut down last night after working all day, went to start this morning, starter spins engine... nothing.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also checked the fuses, none were blown.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
How is engine killed? It does not show electric solenoid, though , I think it has one in the injection pump cover. Are there two electrical connections in the injection pump cover? Do you get any fuel from injector nozzles if you loosen high pressure fuel lines? Either the electrical solenoid is not working, or the injection pump is stuck in the no fuel position!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine is killed at the key switch. There are two electrical connections at the injector pump. a line goes to the cold start switch, which will blow a fuse if it is shorted out. Although this is a common issue, I have no blown fuses. I planned to check the high pressure lines in the morning and calling in JD service techs. How would the fuel solenoid be convinced to open?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the wires at the solenoid, Should have battery voltage as soon as the key is turned on. Comes on with key. If you have voltage, do you hear the solenoid click? If it has voltage and does not click, solenoid is bad. The cover can be removed and new solenoid installed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had to have John Deere service technician come out to solve the problem. The cold weather switch located near where the radiator hose connects to the engine block was shorted out and needed replacing. Total cost, $500+ for the repair!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply!