Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

My tractor, all of a sudden won't turn over or crank. I'm reasonably mechani

Customer Question

Hi, my tractor, all of a sudden won't turn over or crank. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined and would like to know how to fix it please.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you jump the solenoids battery post, to the single wire switch post on same solenoid, does the starter turn engine? Is the pto off? Have you checked the seat switch? When did it last run? What have you been doing with tractor? If bush hogging, you could have pulled wiring loose to pto switch.???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PTO is off, seat switch has been permanently bypassed on this particular item. It last ran earlier in the day, I was using to for some mowing and to move some firewood. Just to make sure I'm jumping the right thing, is the single wire switch on the solenoid, the lone white wire at the front the starter/solenoid assembly? Just want to make sure I've got the right one.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Double check the seat bypass! And yes, the single white wire should be the correct one at the solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the seat bypass has been cut and the two wires tied together. I verified the splice and it looks reasonable. I jumped the solenoid's battery post to the single white wire and at first it made clicking noise, like the bend engaged and was going to start, but nothing cranked. On subsequent attempts, the click got lighter/non-existent. I also checked voltage at the single white wire and don't seem to have any, even when turning the key to the start position. Maybe that's a red-herring though?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Battery or cable problem, do you have voltmeter to check?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a voltmeter... On the battery terminal side of the starter I'm getting 12.65V. Any cables in particular I should be checking? I hear a lot of issues with the fuel shutoff sound on these tractors. I don't know where it's located though to check it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Fuel shutoff would only come into play if engine was cranking.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check battery voltage when you turn key to start!