Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  worked on many road graders, Bull dozers , skid steers, Rollers
6825259

Have a Case 580e backhoe with a 4-390 Cummins engine Ser. #44132118.

Customer Question

Have a Case 580e backhoe with a 4-390 Cummins engine Ser. #44132118. Just reinstalled reman. Lucas injection pump. Tried all kind of ways to time it (not me--the 2 seasoned mechanics working on it). Put on a new solenoid. Can't get it to pop. They're trying to time it. Is that what it is and what are we doing wrong. Thanks, Chuck
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Wayne I will help you with this did they set the engine at TDC before removing the pump let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What we found was a fuel issue. Sprayed starting fluid in air intake and it kicked over fine. We installed a new fuel (lift) pump last week. Is was a Napa aftermarket one---doesn't seem to have enough beef to supply fuel to injector pump. Sent for an original replacement pump from Case. Should get it Tues or Wed (28th or 29th). We'll see. Let you know then. Thanks, Chuck
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chuck Well that also would do itlet me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the original guy (fired him) did not set the timing at tdc when he removed the pump. Causing lots of problems. The new guy (who is a diesel mechanic) thought he had the timing all set. (set the timing at tdc, and had the pump retimed) but it still won't start. It's getting plenty of fuel, and will kick over if you spray ether in the air intake, but won't stay running. The new guy thinks that the pump drive gear could be off one notch. Been fooling with this problem for a week, but can't get it started. I think this latest mechanic is about to give up. Meanwhile, nobody has an answer. Thanks, Chuck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, it's not a fuel problem. No the original mechanic did not set the timing at tdc when he removed the pump, causing lots of problems. I hired a new guy who is a certified diesel mechanic. Thought he had the timing all set ( set the timing at tdc and had the pump retimed) but it still won't start. It's getting plenty of fuel, and will kick over when intake sprayed with ether, but won't keep running. Thinks the pump drive gear could be ff one notch ( that what he plans to do tomorrow). Been fooling with this problem for more than a week. If this doesn't work tomorrow, I think he might give up. Getting exasperated. Chuck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
29 July 2015 07:03
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi
OK , the pump needs to go back to inj shop to set at TDC
they are the only one that can do it
have you new ,Mechanic set at TDC and then install
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I am just following up with you
did my answer help you
Please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know yet. Can't work on it till Monday. Get back to you then. Thanks, Chuck
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
OK, Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found the problem in the injection pump. When they remanufactured it, they didn't reinstall the vanes right, They fixed the problem for free. Tractor starts. Thanks, Chuck
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Morning Glad it is going for you Wayne