Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

There i need to know how to set the timmimg on a b3.3 cummins

Customer Question

hi there i need to know how to set the timmimg on a b3.3 cummins and then set the timming on the ijection pump
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Fieldtech59 replied 1 year ago.
The timing on the pump depends on what pump it has on it as this engine used various pumps depending on application. Have you remove the pump already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This b3.3 Cummins has a zekel pump on it and yes it is off the engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the pump off and had it rebuilt but never set the rimming on the engine now have to start from scratch
Sorry for the late response, I've been on a job site all day long, just now getting in. If you had a pump shop rebuild the pump then they should have it "spotted" for installation, which means it in the correct position for install. There's so many pumps out there, even with Zexel, it would be hard for me to know just what you have, and many of them have a shaft locking screw to hold it in the spotted position until it's installed, then you back out the locking screw, others use a spotting pin the lines up with a hole in the pump shaft. You need to inquire with the rebuilder if there's any locking screw or pin that you need to remove upon installation. As for the engine, all B series Cummins have a timing pin just below the location of the injection pump. It's a round housing, about 1 to 1 1/4" in diameter, mounted with two 10mm head cap screws, and has a plastic knobbed pin sticking out of it. On the inside it's a plastic pin that lines up with a hole in the pump timing gear. The procedure is to bar the engine over in the proper direction of rotation while pushing in on the pin with the knob on the end of it. When the hole in the timing gear lines up, the plastic pin you're pushing on simply pops into the hole locating proper timing position for the injection pump. I'm not really a fan of using that plastic timing pin though, too easy to shear off. I typically remove the two 10mm head screws and remove the timing gizmo. Then I bar the engine over while viewing in the hole until the hole in the timing gear lines up, then I re-install the timing pin gizmo just to hold it spotted there. After you've done that your ready to install the pump, but again, that pump needs to be spotted by the pump shop. I hope this is the info you're needing and helps with your install.