dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
Experience:  Road Mechanic for Volvo Construction Equipment.
11640745

I have a L 70 c the transmission disengages when driving then

Customer Question

I have a L 70 c the transmission disengages when driving then picks up mainly in 1 and 2 gear doesn't matter weather its fwds or reverse
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I would advise to check the wiring to the soleniods under the cover of the valve mounted on the transmision. At times it can have the insulation break down and cuase shorts in the wiring. Also check the plug on the circuit board for a secure fit or corrosion. It would also be advise to check the coils resistance and you should see about 50 ohms on each one. Another common issue is the springs that center the spools on the transmiisioin valve will break allowing the spool to float back and fourth and cuase odd shifting functions. There are 5 of them and easily inspected by remoiving the coils and then the coil base from the valve to access the springs. I would advise to change them all and order the gasket as well. If you need a picture let me Know. Lastly check the clutch pressure and the gear shifter could be at fault so consider them in the troubleshooting as well. Gear shifters are my most common failed part, but you should be able to reproduce the failure just switching back and fourth quickly at a standstill.
Let me know if you need additional information, otherwise I will assume your well on your way to fixing the issues. Thanks, Dan