Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Experience:  Construction equipment repair technician since 1986, JLG certified, Shop manager since 2006.
75637220

Ford 555: I have a 1991 ford 555 extendahoe. There is what

Customer Question

I have a 1991 ford 555 extendahoe.
There is what seems to be a oil fill cap on the housing that covers the injection pump drive gear. What, if any oil should be added at this point, how often, and to what level should it be filled?
Thanks
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Fieldtech59 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, that oil fill cap that you have circled in the attached pic is the engine oil fill. A 1991 model 555 makes it most likely a 555C and probably holds around 2 1/4 gal of engine oil, the dipstick to check the oil level can be seen in the same pic that you attached. That engine would use a typical 15W/40 diesel engine oil that can be obtained at pretty much anyplace that sells motor oil. I think the engine oil filter is on the opposite side of that engine.