dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
Experience:  Road Mechanic for Volvo Construction Equipment.
11640745

My link belt 160 excavator the engine shuts off frequently

Customer Question

My link belt 160 excavator the engine shuts off frequently shuts off like every 5 minutes. then will start back right away. any ideas where to look for this problem.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Couple of things to look at. 1st would be the fuel shut off. It may have a weak coil and allowing it to return to off position when coil heats up. Possible fuel line blockage causing a vacuum in the line and when it shuts off its allowed to refill the line and do the same thing over and over. You should notice power reduction with this fault. Possible relay that is controlling the fuel shut off so watch the shut off or tap on it when running to see if you have a symptom occur. They use the Cummings motor I believe and it should be a three wire solenoid.