Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

My 1994 bob cat has 8 inches of rear slack in the right steering

Customer Question

My 1994 bob cat has 8 inches of rear slack in the right steering arm.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Fieldtech59 replied 1 year ago.
What model Bobcat are we working on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7753
Ok, got it. Just so I understand correctly, when you say you have a lot of rear slack in the right steering arm, are you referring to excessive movement of the right side drive lever? And this excessive movement is in the reverse position, don't really have excessive movement of the drive lever in the forward position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To move forward I have to keep the driver right steering lever back and use the left lever forward to drive forward. If the right combination is not use, the bob cat shakes and bucks so much to almost lose control of bob cat. I can't anyone else drive it for fear of injury.
Sorry for checking in late, had a really long day at work, had to go to three different jobsites to work on machines and the last was 70 miles away, didn't get home until after 8 this evening. What you describe is a very common Bobcat problem and the most likely cause is the clamping bolt on the pintle arm for the left drive pump control shaft has come loose and now the pintle arm is wobbling on that square shaft. Raise your cab up and you'll see those two long steel bar links that connect the drive levers to the drive pumps, move the drive levers back and forth and you'll see those bar links move. Follow those two bars to the rear and you'll see where they connect to the pintle arms directly underneath the drive centering plate. That model machine should have the one piece aluminum pintle arms and not the two piece steel pintle arms. Once you've identified the pintle arms, slip the tip of a prybar underneath them and see if they easily move up or down, this would indicate the pinch bolt is loose that clamps the pintle arm to the pump control shaft. If that's not the problem then you likely have either a problem with one of the centering spools on the pintle arm or a problem with the centering bar that's attached to the underside of the centering plate. Repairs to any of these components requires removal of the centering plate, you have to remove that long 3/8" bolt and the centering spring you see to your left. Once that bolt and spring is removed the centering plate slips right off of the guide studs to the right. Let me know what you find so we can proceed further into the repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I assumed that something of this nature was the problem. I will do as you recommend and let you know.
If the pinch bolt is loose, sometimes you can get lucky and simply tighten it to clamp the pintle arm back on the pump control shaft with no issues, but if they remain loose it will wear the square hole in the aluminum pintle arm and it won't stay tight on the pump shaft, have to replace the pintle arm in those cases. Hopefully you get it sorted out with no fuss.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again.
My pleasure, I'll await to see what you find in there.