Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Heavy Equipment Tech
Experience:  Field Service Tech for Equipment company.
8380480

There,I have a cat e200b excavator, the problem is when

Customer Question

hi there,
I have a cat e200b excavator, the problem is when the operation is more than an hour the boom starts to drift and hard up to raise, the spool is okay, all other function are good only the boom weakens if the hydraulic system gets hot, i already replace the solenoid valve in the manifold, im trying to locate the boom drift reduction valve but i dont know if this model has.
Thank you & best regards,
Rico
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have not experienced this problem myself but, I found a reference to a drift problem associated with boom spools being changed in an update. Boom drift reduction valves were optional features for the E(L)200 series machines. If your machine has this feature it is in a large valve installed in the steel tubes that connect to the boom cylinder hoses. If installed, you would likely have a second valve on the opposite side for a stick cylinder drift reduction valve to the stick cylinder hoses.Both of these valves would be mounted to the frame just behind the boom foot pin.Below is attach a file about the update and how it could be related to your problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found no drift reduction valve, i already replaced all the packings inside the boom cylinder rod and cap, i already checked the oil cooler, if the pump has a problem the boom should not drift if it was already raised but the problem is that, it drifts down little by little and faster and faster as you operate longer than an hour. and if you let it rest to cool down for about 30 minutes, it performs well for about 30mins.
The letter is all I could find about this issue. I thought it may help.I will OPT-OUT so others can see your question.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
A couple things will cause a boom to drift in a typical system.The packing, which you've replaced.The relief valve for the boom at the manifoldAnd the valve at the manifold that controls the direction it's leaking down.There are o-rings on the valve that could have blown, which is pretty common, or the valve itself is bad.You'll have to find the valve and check the o-rings and if they're good then replace the valve.