Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

How do i bleed air out of fuel tank lines

Customer Question

how do i bleed air out of fuel tank lines
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check the fuel lines for leaks between the tank and pump that would caus the system to suck in air and check for restrictions. A faulty regulator or check valve can also cause this or transfer pump. Crack loos the bleeder plug on top of the fual filter housing and pump the primer pump until you get straight fuel and no air from the plug. Then tighten the plug and pump until you feel resistance. Then start the engine. LEt me know if you need more help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I JUST HAD MY DRIVER SIDE FUEL TANK TAKEN OFF & PATCH,I PUT THE TANK BACK ON DID NOT PUT FUEL IN THE TANK AND WAS DRIVING TO THE GAS STATION TO GET FUEL & THE TRUCK BROKE DOWN.IHAD TO BUY FUEL TO PUT IN TANK I JUST INSTALLED & IT STARTED .I DID NOT BLEED THE AIR OUT .I JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW TO BLEED THE AIR OUT .IHAVE NO LEAKS.I JUST NEED TO KNOW THE PROCEEDURE FOR BLEEDING AIR OUT OF LINE OR TANK.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Crack open the bleeder on the housing to bleed air from the secondary fuel filter after it has been installed dry until you get no air and straight fuel. to bleed the head if empty crack open or remove the fuel line from the housing that runs from the back of the head to the fuel filter housing and pump the primer until you get straight fuel out of the line. Recinnect and then pump until you feel resistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I JUST HAVE I FUEL FILTER R U SAYING THAT I SHOULD INSTALL A DRY FUEL FILTER ,& IS THE BLEEDER LOCATED @ THE SIDE OF THE FILTER OR ON TOP OF THE FILTER HOLDER.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Click this link, See PDF page 4. #9 it the hand priming pump and #11 is the bleed screw. Fuel systemCat recommends not filling the filters as the center hole is direct to the pump and any contaminants in your fuel can will not be filtered and go right to the pump.