Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

2007 Deere 450j. Track rollers replaced. A few days later the right rear drive sprocket f

Customer Question

2007 Deere 450j. Track rollers replaced. A few days later the right rear drive sprocket fell off because the shop didnt torque the lugs correctly. New sprocket installed. After 1000s hours on a machine you know how it should feel and sound. Both were off so back to the shop. Now my brakes are "burnt up" on the same side because "someone was using the brake pedal incorrectly". I thought the pedal only controlls engine rpm (which controlls pump obviously). Are the mechanical brakes activated outside of the parking brake lever? I feel im getting bs story over something they mis-adjusted during the initial track and roller repair they performed.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** for the request. This machine is hydrostatic so it does not have steering clutches and brakes like the older models but does have a brake clutch pack in the drive assemblies. Deere had a product improvement campaign on the brakes and has some updates on the parts. Contact your dealer with the serial number to see if your serial number break falls in range with the updates. They are liable for any of the track work since it is all externally bolt on but unfortunately unless they did other work and got into the final drives which is not necessary to do an undercarriage I think likely this is an issue with timing that this failed in a close time period the undercarriage was done. Deere had problems with the brakes on these models. I would check to be sure the brake valve is functioning properly as well and disassemble and inspect/ reseal the valve. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm... ok so are there any friction material brakes or is it all hydraulic? Is there anything that could "burn up" on one track and not the other besides a failed valve? How do i check the valve?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yes there are steel and friction material clutch disks that form a clutch pack. There is a hydraulic piston that releases the brakes and spring pressure holds them applied. Go to this link and type in your model to access the parts diagrams. http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_AltFor the brake valve disassemble and inspect the valve and replace the o rings, Check for power to the solenoid and check for proper operation. It is also possible the brake piston could be leaking by causing the brakes to drag
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Did you get this resolved? Let me know if you need more help or please feel free to rate if my information has helped as that is how the experts receive credit for their time on the site.