Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

New holland Ls180 cracks a long time starts and runs fine

Customer Question

New holland Ls180 b cracks a long time starts and runs fine 15 minutes than starts to run rich smokes and smells raw fuel
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be glad to help. If the engine is running rich then that is too much fuel. Check for a restricted air filter and for a turbo problem. The impeller should spin freely without drag with the engine off and spinning it by hand. There should be no signs of it contacting the housing and minimal end play. If ok you could have a fuel injection pump problem... Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No turbo how to check pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why does it run good 15 to twenty minutes
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the update. If this is non turbo and the fuel system checks ok with no restrictions or leaks sucking in air then check to see if something in the hydraulic system is pulling the engine under a load such as a pump problem, sticking relief or failed relief valve o rings, return restriction, etc. Check the hydraulic filter for metal/ debris inside that would indicate a pump or component problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that were problem it would not run good for fifteen minutes and checked all those things first because of rich smell. I don't think you are on right track going to new holland to look at trouble shooting book I think there must be a cold start semi kid or something that is failing or shorted. I think I may need a new holland expert but thanks anyway
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, A relief valve sticking or pump problem could be the case as you have variable displacement pumps which the amount of flow and the angle of the swash plate in the pump that controls the amount of pump flow so if there is a relief sticking or if the pump control or swash plate is not returning to neutral and keeping the pump in full flow keeping a load on the engine which would cause black smoke however might also likely result in stalling. If you have internal problems with the fuel injection pump or a timing issue it will also cause these symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is white smoke very rich smell hurts your eyes but act like starving for fuel crack and bleed all injectors and it will start if not now will not start replaced manual pump and has power to cold start relay and electric pump is running
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update. White smoke is a lean condition from injectors, timing or coolant in the combustion chamber from a head or head gasket problem. Rick would be black smoke meaning too much fuel. Thanks for the update as that changes everything. Do you have the engine model and serial number from the engine tag by chance or could you get it for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look in am have mech stopping in morning
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Ok great. Sounds good.