Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

Operator alert light came on yesterday on my 2007 cat

Customer Question

Hello. Operator alert light came on yesterday on my 2007 cat 277c after a 6" tall rock fell out of the bucket and I ran over it a regular speed. As soon I went over it the front came down hard and the light came on. Everything seems to work normal except when I try to move I'm at half speed and the the alert sound is going off.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Are you describing the first light in the panel?What color is it? Do any of these lights flash?What is the serial number of this machine?Do you have the gauge and display panel in the right console?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes
2. Yellow
3. Flashing - on off on off on off........... pattern
4. JWF1718
5. YesThank you
Great, I am glad you have the monitor system. We can find the fault code and figure out what is the cause of the warning.Follow the instructions below to view the diagnostic codes. Please list the codes in the order you find them and note if they are from the active or logged screen and from the diagnostic or event codes.Service ModeNOTICEService Mode is intended for use by service personnel, not operators.The Service Mode allows the viewing and the troubleshooting of various systems. The Service Mode is one of two modes that are displayed on the Digital Data Display window that is located on the right side Instrument Cluster (Cab Display). Navigating the Service Modes Enter the Service ModeEnter the Service Mode screen by pressing the Function Select button and simultaneously pressing the Scroll Up button for 3 seconds. Exit the Service ModeExit the Service Mode screen by pressing the Function Select button and simultaneously pressing the Scroll Up button for 3 seconds. This action will return the Digital Data display to Operator Mode 0 and the engine speed will be displayed. Navigate the Service Mode ScreensNavigate through the Service Mode screens by pressing the Scroll Up button or by pressing the Scroll Down button.The Service Mode has the following seven screens. Several of these seven screens contain lower-level screens. Press the Scroll Up button in order to scroll one by one through items of these lower-level screens. Service Mode 0 displays the Active Diagnostics. Service Mode 1 displays the Logged Diagnostic. Service Mode 2 displays the Active Events. Service Mode 3 displays the Logged Events. DiagnosticsThe Diagnostic Service Modes and the Event Codes are used by service personnel in order to troubleshoot machine systems. Table 1Diagnostic Code Screens Service Modes Number Description 0 Variable With the Number of Active Diagnostics, Logged Diagnostics, and Events Active Diagnostics 1 Variable With the Number of Active Diagnostics, Logged Diagnostics, and Events Logged Diagnostics 2 Variable With the Number of Active Diagnostics, Logged Diagnostics, and Events Active Events 3 Variable With the Number of Active Diagnostics, Logged Diagnostics, and Events Logged Events The main display module detects diagnostic codes that occur with sensor inputs, sender inputs, and main display module outputs. The main display module must be in the normal mode to detect those diagnostic codes. A diagnostic code is detected when the signal is outside a valid range. The main display module then records the diagnostic code. The diagnostic code remains stored for future reference.The main display module detects diagnostic codes and the main display module diagnoses problems in the following circuits: Display output modules Action alarm output Action lamp output Note: The main display module does not detect problems with the switch inputs.Service personnel can see the diagnostic codes and service personnel can troubleshoot the diagnostic codes when the main display module has detected a problem. All detected failures are shown in the display area as diagnostic codes.The diagnostics of the monitoring system are available to assist with the troubleshooting of failures when the main display module is placed in service mode. A diagnostic code is used to specify each problem. The diagnostic code is made up of three identifiers (MID, CID, and FMI). These identifiers are shown in the display area. The display area continuously changes between the following identifiers when the diagnostic code is on hold:Module Identifier (MID) - The MID is a three-digit code that is shown on the display area. The MID is shown for approximately one second before the diagnostic code is displayed. The ECM that has diagnosed the failure is logged by the MID. An example of the MID follows: Machine ECM ... 039See the table for the Module Identifier (MID) on the Electrical System Schematic for the machine that is being serviced for the most complete list. In order to troubleshoot diagnostic codes, use the Service Manual for the control that detected the problem.Component Identifier (CID) - The components that have failed are noted by the CID. The following components are examples: Transmission oil temperature sensor Speed sensor Action lamp Boost pressure sensor The CID is a four-digit code that is shown on the six-digit display area of the Digital Data window. The CID and the FMI are shown together after the MID has been displayed.Failure Mode Identifier (FMI) - The FMI reports the type of failure that has occurred. The FMI is a two-digit code that is shown on the six-digit display area. The CID and the FMI are shown after the MID is displayed. The CID and the FMI are separated by a decimal point ".". See Troubleshooting, " Diagnostic Code List". The table for the Module Identifier (MID) on the Electrical System Schematic will show a list of FMIs for the main display module. Examples of the FMIs follow: Voltage above normal Current below normal Abnormal frequency When the main display module enters the service mode, the MID, the CID, and the FMI are shown. At this time, the diagnostic code that is shown is on hold. The display area continuously changes between the following identifiers when the diagnostic code is on hold: MID CID FMI The display is maintained as long as the service and clear inputs remain open. Troubleshooting is performed while the diagnostic code is on hold.Note: The display shows "- - - -" when the main display module has no diagnostic codes.All diagnostic codes are shown one at a time in the display area when the diagnostic codes are scrolling. When the main display module is in the service mode, grounding the service input causes the display to scroll. This action will momentarily show the MID. The display shows the CID and FMI that corresponds. When the desired diagnostic code shows up, removing the ground from the service input stops the scrolling. The diagnostic code showing then is on hold for review.Diagnostics are provided in order to assist service personnel during troubleshooting of intermittent diagnostic codes. The service code indicator ("SERV CODE") is shown when a diagnostic code is present. This feature can aid in the troubleshooting of intermittent diagnostic codes. The service code indicator changes from "SERV CODE" that is OFF to "SERV CODE" that is ON. The changes occur when the diagnostic code changes status. When a diagnostic code is on hold for a problem, the action alarm SOUNDS briefly during the change of status. These diagnostics signal the service personnel while inspections are performed. These diagnostics assist in troubleshooting intermittent diagnostic codes by one service person.The memory of the main display module saves a diagnostic code until the code is cleared. The main display module does not allow clearing of a diagnostic code that corresponds to a diagnostic code which is present. Service Mode 4Service Mode 4 displays the software part number of the Machine ECM . Service Mode 5Service Mode 5 displays the machine parameters.Service Mode 5 has four screens. See table 2. The default screen is Screen 1 which displays the engine coolant temperature. Table 2Service Mode 5 Screens Service Mode Screen Description 5 1 Engine Coolant Temperature 2Hydraulic Oil Temperature 3Left Drive Motor Speed and Direction 4Right Drive Motor Speed and Direction Service Mode 6Service Mode 6 displays the components parameters.Service Mode 6 has nine screens. See table 3. The default screen is Screen 1 which displays the Throttle Cab Switch Position. Table 3Service Mode 6 Screens Service Mode Number Description 6 1 Throttle Cab Switch Position 2Left Joystick X-axis Position 3Left Joystick Y-axis Position 4Right Joystick X-axis Position 5Right Joystick Y-axis Position 6Parking Brake Switch 7Backup Alarm Relay 8Stop Lamp Relay 9Ride Control Relay Service Mode 7Service Mode 7 shows the Display Units settings. Service Mode 7 is used to program the Display Unit settings.Service Mode 7 has two screens. See table 4. The default screen is the currently selected units. Table 4Service Mode 7 Screens Service Mode Number Description 7 1 English 2 Metric
Please retrieve the codes and post them back to this same question. I will be out working in the field tomorrow but, I will be available in the evening.If this is not helpful, I will OPT-OUT of the question and maybe someone else can help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I'll post them shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1st menu with the hard drive icon;
41-4
1251-4
E875-3
E391-1
E361-3
E875-1
E875-22nd menu with the skidsteer icon;(###) ###-####
41-4 1251-4 E875 are all codes for low voltage. Check your battery and charging system. Electronic machines will have all sorts of problems with low voltage.E391 is a plugged air filter and E361 is engine overheating.
Since the fist code is low voltage, that is were I would start.However, overheating will derate the engine power and speed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you start with the battery?
What do you think?
Thanks!
Always! Charge battery to a full charge if it is not at a full charge and then have a load test done on the battery. If battery passes, then look at alternator charging and harness for any issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.
Did you find a problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got tied up on some other jobs. Gonna check it this evening. Thank you!!!!
Ok, I will be looking for your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Checked voltage and load test and all looks good. While I had the battery disconnected I went ahead and checked the throttle positioning switch because I had read another forum where a guy had the exact same thing happen to his 287 machine but the TPS seems to be all connected on the outside. When I reconnected the battery the 277 ran just like new with no light. After about 20 mins the light would come on temporarily and then go right back off. Then it cam on a third time and is back to creep mode. Could it be the TPS internally or what do you suggest next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent on June 9th "Good morning. Checked voltage and load test and all looks good. While I had the battery disconnected I went ahead and checked the throttle positioning switch because I had read another forum where a guy had the exact same thing happen to his 287 machine but the TPS seems to be all connected on the outside. When I reconnected the battery the 277 ran just like new with no light. After about 20 mins the light would come on temporarily and then go right back off. Then it cam on a third time and is back to creep mode. Could it be the TPS internally or what do you suggest next?"
Any ideas? Thanks!
Hello, I am very sorry I missed your reply. I appreciate your patience. I doubt you have any problem with a throttle control. You would have codes for the throttle if you did. You can test the throttle reading using Service Mode 6, sub-mode 1. The value should change as you move the throttle.Have you gotten any new codes?Is the Creep Mode light coming on?Have you checked for an active code when the problem is present? If so, what codes appeared?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Thanks. I have not checked for any new codes. Creep mode is set to full power. Is there something else or one of the other codes that I sent that need to be checked? Thanks again.
The best thing to see is the code that is active when you have the problem.
Some codes "reset" when you turn the key off and may not appear in the logged codes correctly.
Use the machine and when the problem appears, go to the codes and record them immediately to see what is listed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll pull those tomorrow and send them over. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.
Ok, I will be out for part of the day but, I will be back in and reply tomorrow night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That sounds great.