Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

Sky track 8042 won't start. My son ran it all day sitting trusses.

Customer Question

Sky track 8042 won't start. My son ran it all day sitting trusses. The contractor jumped on it, started it ,moved it 10 ft shut it off with fork 4 ft off ground, he did not put park brake on first just turned off key not setting brake nothigIs it some how still in gear and park brake did not lock thus not allowing it to start. I took battery out to auto parts store they said battery is good. I have jumped it cannot get even a click from key, starter etc. any ideas?All of a sudden dead but battery good. Thanks. Todd
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit is setting on pretty flat ground was wondering if we should try to rock it it to somehow force park break engagement. The unit is borrowed from my son's construction company and they come to pick it up on Friday. We feel bad it worked great all day starting and shutting off then went dead. My son was careful to place in park before turning off
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Does the unit have a battery disconnect at the battery box, that has been shut off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No battery disconnect. When I took the battery out there were just a red and black cable in the battery platform area. The battery is in the open sitting on a flat plate with a strap. Very simple behind the operator station just in front to left rear tire. ,The auto parts store tested and said good battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also cleaned the cables when I reinstalled battery
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Are you getting battery voltage to the stater solenoid? That's where power for the panel comes from, the same post as the battery cable is on. Do you get any indication of voltage at the panel? If not, power is lost between the battery and the fuse panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for response Curtis. No the battery is located behind the operator platform. When I removed battery and took to close by auto store to test (it wAs ok). I noticed only a red a and black wire. More ideas? Todd
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis, I sure appreciate your help. I want you to know I am not a mechanic but want to keep trying. The unit was supposed to be picked up today by a driver to move to another job site. Not sure if it's gone. The Sky Trak 8042 tele handler is at my son's home buils job site 30 minutes away. Not able to go out and check today and it's raining so may not have been picked up. I am paying to learn and try and figure this out. I will go to the job site tomorrow and make my multi-meter. Specifically with the key one in cranked position i should get voltage at the silenced which is mounted on top of the starter. Right? Thanks, Todd
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, with key turned to start, you should get battery voltage to the solenoids switch terminal at the starter.