Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

My D4CXL Hystat: Overheated, took off front plate, front radiator

Customer Question

My D4CXL Hystat: Overheated, took off front plate, front radiator was dark on bottom half with wet area at bottom, like fresh leak but am not loosing radiator fluid. Rear radiator bottom half coated with dark mud 1/4 thick up to mid level. Cleaned off. Operated 45 min, same mud pack on rear radiator only up 60% and up side panels also. Found small leak of oil from block behind (fuel mix chamber?) on left side (from freeze plug?). Fan blows air to rear so doesn't seem like a leak there could foul radiator. No apparent leaks in hoses to radiator. Something, either radiator fluid, fuel or oil is mixing with dust on radiator to form mud pack on the rear radiator. I can't see what the source is for that. I am not a mechanic so will hire one, but would like to identify problem first. Ken
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ken, I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I will be glad to help you with the problem.I had a similar issue on a D5G with an overheating engine due to plugged radiator. Most models have an air cooled oil cooler for the hydraulic oil. Some are mounted behind the radiator and are difficult to see. I would believe you are seeing hydraulic oil leaking from the cooler and this is causing your radiator to plug. You will need a pressure washer and a good degreaser to soak the core and pressure wash the radiator out. OR, you can remove the front assembly and have a shop clean it for you. If you need more details on this, please post the tractor's full serial number with your reply.