Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I am installing an injector pump on my 1985 ford 555B 3 cyl

Customer Question

i am installing an injector pump on my 1985 ford 555B 3 cyl backhoe. The manual says, be sure to line up the mark on the cam drive gear mark with the 3cyl mark on the injector gear. I have removed the pump timing gear access cover but the cam gear is not exposed enough to spot the cam gear mark. Is it necessary to remove the grill, hyd tank, radiator, fan, and water pump to expose the cam gear? HELP!!!
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** will be glad to try to help. If you have the CAV style pump copy and paste this link in your browser for the procedure. Let me know if you need more help or if you have another style pump let me know the make and model pump you have and I will be glad to help further. You should be able to t get to #1 TDC and install the pump locked onto #1 TDC. The injection shop can set the pump at #1 for you.
http://oregonfuelinjection.com/pdf/dpa-pump-installation-instructions.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Dan, i have a lucas cav pump, rebuilt, that i'm installing. i just want to make sure the cam gear is connected to the pump gear between the 3 cyl teeth and not the 4cyl teeth. Pat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for the update. copy and paste this link in your browser and let me know if these installation instructions better explain the process or if you have more questions. I have family in for the holiday weekend so my log ins will be spotty over the weekend.
http://www.dandcdiesel.com/resources/Mounting%20instructions%20MF.pdf