Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

What is involved in converting a CAT 3606 diesel engine from

Customer Question

What is involved in converting a CAT 3606 diesel engine from clockwise rotation to counterclockwise rotation?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have not worked with marine engines in some time. I am not sure CAT does counter rotating engines anymore but, I cannot say for certain. If you have the engine's full serial number, I will be glad to research into this to see if it is offered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,The serial numbers are 8RB00309 and 8RB00310, as far as I know the arrangement number is ***** I could not find the engine in the parts program or in SIS. My CAT guy says they are old and not in the system.One is CW rotation and one is CCW rotation. I do not know which one is which on the rotation. Normal Marine engine rotation is CCW for almost all engine manufacturers unless CW is requested. I know what I would need to do for Deutz, MAN, Pielstick, Sulzer, etc. but have very limited knowledge of CAT. I seem to remmber reading somewhere on the procedure for this but cannot find it now.On other engines I would need to change camshafts, gear train, air start distributers, impellers adn such. However I do not know exactly what is involved with a CAT 3606 engine. Like I said my knowledge of CAT is minimal and I have worked on the 3400 seriies and some 3500 series work but not on the 3600 series.I hope this will help.
Thanks for the information, I will research this and see what I can find. The 8RB prefix is good but, the serial is not matching. I will post back tonight when I have more time to dig into this. If this is a problem, I can OPT-OUT so others may help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Sounds good.
I cannot find information about converting engines to the different rotations. I did find the spec's for each engine and can tell you the 8RB309 engine is the Opposite Rotation engine (CW) and the 8RB310 engine is Standard rotation (CCW).The engine consist tickets show the different rotation decals. The 8RB309 uses the 7W5891 decal for Opposite CW rotation and the 8RB310 uses a 7W5891 decal for Standard CCW rotation.Attached is the spec's and consist sheets for both.
I hope this will help you. I am not sure of any other location to find more details.