Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a Cat 420D (420dkfdp15588) and It won't shift into forward

Customer Question

I have a Cat 420D (420dkfdp15588) and It won't shift into forward, it goes into reverse no problem and if it warms up for an hour it will shift into forward but not when it's cold, I have replaced the solenoids on top the trans, the shifter is sending power to the solenoids, not sure what to check next?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Have you checked the suction screen for debris?Have you removed the filter and cut it open to check for debris?Have you seen in shiny metal in the oil?Is the oil level being checked when the oil is warm and the engine is running?Have you tested pump pressure? If so, what is the pressures with cold oil and hot oil?Have you test clutch pressures?Did you replace solenoid valve assembly? (223-8181) Or did you just replace one side? (coil assembly)I have not seen this issue before. Normally the trouble is in both directions. Please let me know as much detail as you can. I will be glad to help you all I can.