Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

Have a D5HLGP Dozer with a thrown track can't get the cylinder

Customer Question

Have a D5HLGP Dozer with a thrown track can't get the cylinder to retract.Opened the relief valve on the track adjuster still will not retract
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Did you try using anything to push the assembly back into the housing?
You may have wear in the guide blocks on the sides. Try lifting the idler while pushing in to see if that helps.Also, look into the housing and see if the adjuster is letting the grease out.If not screw the release side valve out fully.Never loosen the fill side. (It should be impossible to reach anyway) Please let me know more about this problem and post the full machine serial number with your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removed relief valve no grease came out when I pushed in the ram it had heavy resistance and came out again
Thanks for the reply, sorry I could not respond earlier. I have been out if the field and did not have access to the internet.The release valve should not be removable. It should only turn out a few turns and then be blocked by a safety plate. Something must be damaged in the adjuster or it has been modified and the safety lock has been removed. My only concern is if the recoil spring nut locks have failed and the spring is loose in side the tube. Can you move the idler frame up and down a small amount. A bearing and seal is at the front of the tube but the assembly should move around some. The guide blocks on each side of the tube always have some free play movement. If the idler can move around some, the adjuster can be removed and the only thing left is to separate the track to remove the whole assembly. Once you remove the guide blocks, it will slide straight out. If you need further help with this, please include the full machine serial number with your reply.