Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

256C skid steer brake locked up left side

Customer Question

Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any way to jumper a fix.release the brake, to get on a trailer
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late. CAT does not have anyway to release the brake. The recommended procedure is to drag the machine to a rollback type truck or use a lift truck or crane to load it. They offer lifting links to fit the cab but, that is the only options available. (CAT is concerned towing will allow the travel motors to run dry and cause a secondary failure)Are you sure a chain did not break? I'va had a few customers break a drive chain and it locked the side up tight when the chain jammed under the drive sprockets. This machine has one brake release line and it supplies both brake pistons. If one releases, the other should too. Some models would leak oil externally, if the piston seal failed. I am not certain it is on all models, I have seen this happen on 236 machines. If you still want help with this please let me know I will be glad to help.